Strawberry Poke Cake – The easiest cake recipe! Made with white boxed cake mix that is prepared and then holes are poked into it that are filled with strawberry jello and topped with cool whip and fresh strawberries. This cake is easy to make and each bite tastes like summer!
Strawberry Poke Cake
Poke cakes are the best! As one of those desserts that I remember my mom bringing to parties and potlucks as a kid, they have a special place in my heart as a yummy dessert that was great for sharing. I recently made my classic lemon poke cake recipe for a party and was inspired to experiment and make a few other poke cake varieties. One that’s been a big hit at parties recently has been my strawberry poke cake recipe! Filled with so much strawberry flavors, every bite is delicious!
To start it off, you need a box of white cake mix. It may sound like cheating to have boxed cake mix in a recipe but trust me, it is the best base for this cake. Once it’s baked, you poke hole in it and cover it with prepared strawberry jello that hasn’t set. To finish it off, the whole cake gets coated in cool whip and slices of fresh strawberries.
Common Questions About Making a Strawberry Poke Cake
What is an strawberry poke cake?
Strawberry poke cake is a simple dessert made by preparing a box of white cake mix according to the instructions and baking it. The cake then has holes poked in it with a skewer and strawberry jello is then spread over the top so that it seeps into the cake through the holes. The cake is then topped with cool whip and slices of strawberry.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 12 slices of cake.
Can I use whipped cream instead of cool whip?
I only suggest using homemade whipped cream if you are going to serve it immediately as whipped cream can start to weep. If you are making it ahead of time, definitely use cool whip.
What kind of cake mix should I use?
I used white cake mix but you could also use yellow or even lemon cake mix.
Can I use other jello flavors?
Yes! You could use any other variety of jello that sounds good to you. I’ve personally used lemon before but cherry or raspberry also sound good!
How long does this cake last?
I suggest covering it with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerating it for up to 3 days.
What other types of poke cakes can I make?
There are so many awesome poke cake varieties! Some of my favorites include –
Looking for more easy dessert recipes? Check these out!
- 1 box white cake mix (plus ingredients called for on the box - eggs, oil, etc)*
- 1 box (3 ounces) strawberry jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) tub whipped topping
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9"x13" pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the white cake according to the instructions on the box.
- Pour the prepared cake batter into the pan and bake according to the instructions on the box.
- While the cake is baking, mix the strawberry jello and boiling water until crystals are all dissolved.
- Once the cake is baked, use a skewer to poke holes in the cake and then pour the jello mixture on top.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then transfer to the fridge to chill completely.
- Once chilled, top with whipped topping and fresh strawberries before slicing and serving.
* I don't include an exact amounts of the ingredients that go into the cake mix because it depends on the box itself. There is some variance between brands so it's best just to reference the box you have.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.