Oreo Poke Cake – The easiest cake recipe ever made with chocolate boxed cake mix that is prepared and then holes are poked into it that are filled with oreo pudding and topped with whipped topping and crushed oreos.
Oreo Poke Cake
This cake is SO good! Now you might have realized how big of a fan of oreos I am from my abundance of oreo recipes. I am constantly trying to incorporate them (or golden oreos) into all of my desserts so after my poke cake spree the past few weeks, I decided to make an oreo version! For this, I used chocolate cake mix, an oreo pudding layer, cool whip, and crushed oreos. It’s so easy to make and tastes great!
Common Questions About Making an Oreo Poke Cake
What is an oreo poke cake?
Oreo poke cake is a simple dessert made by preparing a box of chocolate cake mix according to the instructions and baking it. The cake then has holes poked in it with a skewer and oreo pudding is then spread over the top so that it seeps into the cake through the holes. The cake is then topped with a mix of cool whip and crushed oreos.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 12 slices of cake.
Can I use whipped cream instead of cool whip?
I only suggest using homemade whipped cream if you are going to serve it immediately as whipped cream can start to weep. If you are making it ahead of time, definitely use cool whip.
What kind of chocolate cake mix should I use?
I used a basic chocolate cake mix but you could also use a variety like triple chocolate if you wanted.
Can I use oreo pudding?
Yes! So many stores carry a cookies and cream or oreo flavored pudding… mine does not. If you have access to it, directly substitute it for the vanilla pudding mix and 6 oreos for it.
Can I add extra oreos?
You can add extra oreos to the top if desired, you can also fold some crushed oreos into the cake mix for an added boost of oreo flavor!
How long does this cake last?
I suggest covering it with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerating it for up to 3 days.
What other types of poke cakes can I make?
There are so many awesome poke cake varieties! Some of my favorites include –
How can I cut this cake?
Cleanly cutting this cake can be difficult! You can freeze it for 20-30 minutes before serving to make it a bit easier to cleanly cut it.
Looking for more easy chocolate dessert recipes? Check these out!
- Texas Sheet Cake
- Oreo Fluff
- Brownie Truffles
- Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix Cookies (just 3 ingredients!)
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (+ ingredients on the back - water, eggs, oil, etc)
- 1 box (3.4 ounces) vanilla pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 18 Oreos, divided
- 1 (8 ounces) tub Cool Whip
- Prepare your oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9"x13" pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the chocolate cake according to the instructions on the box.
- Pour the prepared cake batter into the pan and bake according to the instructions on the box.
- While the cake is baking, mix the vanilla pudding with the milk and then crush 6 Oreos into the mixture. Allow to sit in the refrigerator until the cake has baked.
- Once the cake is fully cooked, remove from oven and poke holes with a skewer or chopstick, about 25-30 holes.
- Spread the prepared Oreo pudding over the entire surface of the cake, then allow to cool 20 minutes before transferring to the fridge to chill completely.
- Once the cake has chilled, top with cool whip and crush the remaining 12 Oreos over the top of the cake.
- Slice and serve.
* I don't include an exact amounts of the ingredients that go into the cake mix because it depends on the box itself. There is some variance between brands so it's best just to reference the box you have.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.