Lemon Poke Cake – The easiest cake recipe ever made with lemon boxed cake mix that is prepared and then holes are poked into it that are filled with lemon jello and topped with a creamy lemon topping. With so much lemon flavor in each bite, this cake is sure to be a hit!
Lemon Poke Cake
I love poke cakes! As one of those desserts that I remember my mom bringing to parties and potlucks as a kid, they have a special place in my heart as a yummy dessert that was great for sharing. I recently made my classic lemon poke cake recipe for a party and decided that it was finally time to share the recipe. It is just about the easiest cake to make with a base made from lemon cake mix that you get to poke with a skewer once it’s baked to create holes that you then fill with lemon jello. To finish it off, cool whip and lemon pudding are combined and spread on top. It’s SO easy and filled with lemon flavor in each bite!
Common Questions About Making a Lemon Poke Cake
What is a lemon poke cake?
A lemon poke cake is a a box of lemon cake mix that is prepared according to the directions and cooked. It is then poked with a skewer and lemon jello is poured into the holes. The cake is then topped with a cake made from combining lemon pudding and cool whip and served.
Do I have to use lemon cake mix?
Nope! Instead of lemon cake mix, you could use white cake mix or yellow cake mix. Just add in 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice along with the zest of 1 lemon.
How should I decorate the cake?
I simply used a few slices of lemon but you could use candied lemon peel, lemon zest, or even fresh berries as decorations.
How long does this cake last?
I suggest covering it with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerating it for up to 3 days.
What else can I make with lemon cake mix?
Can I use whipped cream instead of cool whip?
I only suggest using homemade whipped cream if you are going to serve it immediately as whipped cream can start to weep. If you are making it ahead of time, definitely use cool whip.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 16 servings.
What other varieties of poke cake can I make?
Some of my other favorite poke cake recipes include –
Looking for more easy dessert recipes? Check these out!
- 1 box lemon cake mix (plus ingredients on the back - oil, water, eggs)*
- 3 ounce box lemon jello
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 ounce box instant lemon pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounce tub cool whip
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 inch pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix and ingredients according to the box directions.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake according to the directions on the box.
- After baking, allow the cake to cool, then use a skewer or straw to poke holes halfway down into the cake.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon jello mix and 1 cup hot water until dissolved. Then, whisk in 1/2 cup cold water.
- Pour the jello mixture into the holes of the lemon cake.
- Cover the pan with foil and move to the refrigerator to set for at least 4 hours (or overnight).
- For the frosting, whisk together lemon pudding mix and milk in a large bowl. (Note - the amount of milk used in the recipe is different from what is suggested on the pudding box)
- Fold in the cool whip until it is fully combined before transferring it to the top of the cake.
- Decorate (if desired) and serve.
* I don't include an exact amounts of the ingredients that go into the cake mix because it depends on the box itself. There is some variance between brands so it's best just to reference the box you have.