Cut Out Sugar Cookies – A staple Christmas cookie recipe! Soft sugar cookies that keep their shape, perfect for decorating!
Cut Out Sugar Cookies
With the Christmas cookie baking season in full swing, it’s time for a classic cookie recipe that is a must-have staple! Oh yeah, I am talking about sugar cookies. Every Christmas, we always make at least a batch of these sugar cookies and gingerbread, using cookie cutters and decorating with icing and loads of sprinkles. It’s the only time of the year where we actually do cut out cookies and it is always exciting. This year, I made them earlier in December than I normally do because I needed to make my Ugly Christmas Sweater Cookies. It took me all day to decorate just those three sweater cookies so I had to come back and decorate the rest the next day!
Tips on cut out sugar cookies recipe
- Don’t forget to chill the dough! This is necessary to help keep the shape of the cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Slowly add to the wet ingredients in batches, mixing until well combined.
- Roll dough in a ball and place in refrigerator for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees,
- Remove from refridgerator and roll dough out on a well-floured surface until the dough is 1/4" thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and transfer to cookie sheet. Freeze 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and bake for 7-8 minutes or until cookies start to turn golden around the edges.
Love cookie recipes perfect for a cookie exchange?
Make sure to check out these recipes from other bloggers:
Almond Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies from Who Needs a Cape?
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
Orange Snowball Cookies from Seduction in the Kitchen