Grinch Cookies – Celebrate the holidays with cookies based off of a holiday classic! These fun green cookies with little red hearts on top are so good!
The Grinch is a movie that we watch every single year during the holidays. For this years viewing, I decided to make a batch of cookies to enjoy while we watched that were grinch themed! They are delicious, super easy to make, and fun for the holidays. I love the pop of color that these add when put onto a cookie tray! If you love the Grinch, then this is the recipe for you.
Common Questions About Making Grinch Cookies
What are grinch cookies?
Grinch cookies are simple green sugar cookies that are cut out, frozen, and then baked before having a candy heart.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 12 cookies.
How long do these cookies last?
These cookies last up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
What other grinch recipes can I make?
Some of my favorite grinch recipes are –
Ingredient Notes –
- Make sure the butter is fully softened so you don’t end up with lumps in your cookies.
- I’m using a holiday green food coloring but you can use what you have on hand.
- Sugar sweetens the cookies.
- Egg yolk adds richness and extra moisture to the dough.
- Vanilla enhances the sweetness in the cookies.
- Flour gives the cookies structure – make sure to measure using the spoon and level method.
- Baking powder helps the cookies rise slightly so they stay soft.
- I’m using candy hearts but you can use red icing or heart shaped sprinkles if you prefer.
Looking for more holiday recipes? Check these out!
Grinch Cookies - Celebrate the holidays with cookies based off of a holiday classic! These fun green cookies with little red hearts on top are so good!
- 8 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1/4 teaspoon green gel food coloring
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Candy hearts
- Add the softened butter and green food coloring to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Beat on medium speed until the butter has turned green - about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Mix just until combine - scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut out 2" circles. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour.
- While the dough freezes, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately place a candy heart in the center of each one. Press the candy heart gently into the cookie until it sticks.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a baking sheet until they are room temperature.
- Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Facebook / Instagram / Pinterest / Twitter
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.