Gather the ingredients - * Butter * Sugar * Egg yolk * Flour * Vanilla extract * Salt * Soft caramels * Chocolate chips * Coconut oil
– Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until the butter is creamed. – Next, mix in the vanilla and salt before slowly adding the powdered sugar. – Once all of the powdered sugar has been incorporated, slowly add the flour and mix until the dough comes together.
– Scoop out a two-tablespoon sized piece of dough and gently roll it into a ball. – Flatten the ball of cookie dough slightly and use your thumb to create a well in the center of the dough. – Repeat with the remaining cookie dough, making sure to place the cookies at least two inches apart.
– Bake for 12-14 minutes, or just until the edges are golden brown. – Remove the cookies from the oven and use a round cookie cutter to swirl them into circles - this will also help create a well to hold the caramel as they will slightly lose their shape while baking.
Set the cookies aside to cool while you prepare the caramel.
Add the caramel candies and heavy cream to a small saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring occasionally until the caramel is smooth and melted.
– Spoon the caramel into the center of each shortbread cookie. Set the cookies aside until the caramel hardens. – Add the chocolate and coconut oil to a small microwave safe bowl. – Heat the chocolate until it is smooth and melted. Drizzle the chocolate over the cookies.
– Set the cookies aside until the chocolate has set. – Store the cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Full recipe at mildlymeandering.com