Gather the sugared cranberry ingredients - * Cranberries * Water * Granulated sugar
– Add the water and granulated sugar to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Cook until the sugar has dissolved. – Remove the pan from heat and add the cranberries.
– Use a slotted spoon to remove the cranberries from the syrup and place them on a lined baking sheet. – Allow the cranberries to dry for 45 minutes. – Then, sprinkle over the remaining cup of sugar and toss the cranberries until they are coated evenly. Allow them to set for an additional 45 minutes before using.
Gather the cupcake ingredients - * Milk * Vegetable oil * Eggs * Vanilla extract * Sugar * Flour * Baking powder * Cranberries
In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla.
– Add the sugar and whisk to combine. – Next, add the flour and baking powder. Mix just until combined. – Then, add the fresh cranberries and fold them gently into the batter.
Divide the cake batter between the muffin tins, filling each one with about 1/4 cup of batter.
– Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. – Remove the cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
Gather the frosting ingredients - * Butter * Powdered sugar * Vanilla extract
– Add the softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until the butter is smooth. – With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the powdered sugar. – Once all of the powdered sugar has been incorporated, add the vanilla extract. – Turn the mixer to high speed and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag and frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Garnish with sugared cranberries and serve.
Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.