Gather the sugared cranberry ingredients - * Fresh cranberries * Water * Sugar
– Add the water and 1/2 cup granulated sugar to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Cook until the sugar has dissolved. – Remove the pan from heat and add the cranberries. Toss to combine.
– Use a slotted spoon to remove the cranberries from the syrup and place them on a lined baking sheet. – Allow the cranberries to dry for 45 minutes. – Then, sprinkle over the remaining cup of sugar and toss the cranberries until they are coated evenly. Allow them to set.
Gather the cupcake ingredients - * Milk * Vegetable oil * Eggs * Vanilla extract * Sugar * Flour * Baking powder * Cranberry
– Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin tins with paper liners. – In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla.
– Add the sugar and whisk to combine. – Next, add the flour and baking powder. Mix just until no large lumps of flour remain. – Then, add the fresh cranberries and fold them gently into the batter.
Divide the cake batter between the muffin tins, filling each one with about 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. - Remove the cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
Gather the frosting ingredients - * Powdered sugar * Butter * Vanilla extract
- Add the softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until the butter is smooth. – Slowly add the powdered sugar and then the vanilla extract. – Turn the mixer to high speed and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag and frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Garnish with sugared cranberries and serve.