Vanilla Bean Chiffon Cake – A light and fluffy cake that melts in your mouth! This mile high cake is made with vanilla beans and topped with vanilla bean whipped cream! Vanilla Bean Chiffon Cake is perfect for birthdays or a simple, yet elegant dessert!
Vanilla Bean Chiffon Cake
Happy birthday to me! To celebrate my birthday, I had to make a cake (of course) so after much deliberation and flipping through cookbooks and pinterest, I decided I was going to tackle a chiffon cake. Originally, this was going to be an earl grey chiffon cake but when I saw a gorgeous vanilla bean chiffon cake in one of my cookbooks, I was sold. The cake was just so tall and pretty!
I was amazed how easy this chiffon cake was to make, I had figured it was going to be a complete pain like macarons can be but really, it came together smoothly and really easy. The hardest part for me was trying to get it out of the pan because I was impatient just wanted to eat a slice and didn’t wait as long as I should have. Give it at least 2 hours before you try pulling this chiffon cake out of the pan.
Chiffon cake vs angel food cake, what’s the difference?
That was my question when I was researching chiffon cakes and it all comes down to two main things.
- Chiffon cakes have some kind of oil in them while angel food cake is completely oil free.
- Angel food cake doesn’t have egg yolks while chiffon cake does.
Overall, they are very similar and both equally delicious!
Tips on vanilla bean chiffon cake recipe
Make sure you have an angel food cake pan! I used THIS one.
Make sure your pan is NOT GREASED. I repeat, do not grease your pan. The cake needs to able to cling onto the sides while it is cooking to help get that great height.
If you have vanilla beans on hand, you can sub that in for the vanilla bean paste. Just use 1 vanilla bean (scraped) in the cake recipe.
Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature, especially the eggs and milk.
Some more dessert recipes to try!
Spiced Chai Tea Mini Bundt Cakes – Elegant personal bundt cakes made with all of your favorite chai tea flavors topped with a vanilla crème drizzle.
Vanilla Bean Cheesecake – An incredible homemade cheesecake with a vanilla wafer crust, vanilla bean cheesecake filling, and topped with a vanilla bean mousse.
Vanilla Bean Pizzelle Cookies – A crisp Italian cookie made in a pizzelle press with a gorgeous design.
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 7 egg yolks
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 9 egg whites
Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together cake flour, 3/4 cups of the granulated sugar, and baking powder.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, oil, vanilla bean paste, and vanilla extract. Add in dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- In a stand mixer bowl, add in egg whites. Beat on high until they get foamy then slowly add in the remaining 3/4 cups of sugar. Continue to beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. These peaks should hold their shape.
- Add the egg whites into the batter in three separate additions, gently whisking in each time. Mix until no streaks of the egg whites remain but DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Pour batter in a non-greased 10 inch tube pan. Place in oven and bake for about 60 minutes. Once cooked, the cake should bounce back when touched.
- Invert cake onto a cooling rack and let cool completely. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and flip over to remove.
Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream
- In a stand mixer bowl, combine all ingredients. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Serve cake with a dollop on top each slice or spread on the outside of cake once it has cooled.
Adapted from Baking Bites
Looking for more cake recipes?
Make sure to check out these recipes from other bloggers:
Vanilla Latte Cake from Liv for Cake
Tres Leches Cake from Tornadough Alli
Kentucky Butter Cake from Homemade Hooplah