Ugly Christmas Sweater Cake – A festive cake perfect for Christmas! Red velvet cake topped with cream cheese frosting and sprinkles to look like a Christmas sweater!
Ugly Christmas Sweater Cake
Welcome to #ChristmasSweetsWeek 2018! I am so excited to be sharing this ugly Christmas sweater cake today! This recipe was inspired by my popular ugly Christmas sweater cookies from last year. When I heard that I was going to be recieving red velvet emulsion from Lorann Oils, I just knew I had to make a cake. What is more festive than an ugly Christmas sweater?!
The base of this cake is red velvet. It is a delicious recipe with it’s flavors enhanced by the red velvet emusion. It made the cake so much easier to make because the emulsion is colored so that I didn’t have to deal with using food coloring myself in the cake. On top is a delicious cream cheese frosting and sprinkles for decoration.
If you want to make this cake even easier, you can always just make the cake, frost it with the green cream cheese frosting, and sprinkles. It is a festive cake regardless of whether or not you make it into the whole sweater design.
Additionally, you can color the frosting any color (or just leave it white) but I went with green to make it as Christmas-y as I could.
How to decorate an ugly christmas sweater cake
Step 1 – Make red velvet cake
Make the red velvet cake according to the instructions.
Step 2 – Cover with green cream cheese frosting
Once the cake has completely cooled, frost it with the green frosting. Cover evenly. To avoid having your cream cheese frosting end up having chunks in it like mine does, here are some tips to avoid this. I tested these out after making this cake with good results:
- Beat the butter before the cream cheese
- Sift your powdered sugar before adding it to the frosting.
- Make sure your cream cheese is completely to room temperature. This is a really important step.
Step 3 – Pipe on white frosting
Transfer the white frosting to a piping bag fitted with a flat piping tip. Pipe a “v” onto the top third of the cake and then a line coming down the rest of the way from where the lines meet. Pipe two horizontal lines across the cake, each about 1/3rd of the way down.
If you don’t have a flat tip pipping tip or piping bags, you can always just put the frosting in a ziploc bag and cut off the tip. It’ll be close enough.
Step 4 – Pipe on black frosting
Transfer the black frosting to a piping bag fitted with a small circle piping tip. In the middle section of the cake, pipe a line that has some loops in it. This will be what the light bulb candies are on.
Make sure you leave enough room to fit the light bulb candies in the space remaining in these blocks.
Step 5 – Add lights
Place light candies on the black string of icing. Add as many of these lights as you want. I chose to skip using the green ones because they were too similar to the green frosting on the cake.
Step 6 – Add sprinkles
Fill in the remaining areas with sprinkles (except the area inside of the “v”. You can use any type of festive sprinkles here or even some different shaped candies like the lights.
Looking for more Christmas recipes?
- Hot Chocolate Cake
- Soft Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Almond Spritz Cookies
- Hungarian Kifli Cookies
- Eggnog Amaretto Cocktail
Red Velvet Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons LorAnn Red Velvet Emulsion, adds color and flavor
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons water, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red food coloring
- Green food coloring
- Black food coloring
- Candy holiday light bulbs
- Festive sprinkles
Red Velvet Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and dust with flour a 12"x8" pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add in eggs one and a time along with emulsion, salt, and water.
- Slowly add in flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Pour in milk and continue to milk.
- Dissolve baking soda in the vinegar. Once it has dissolved, add into the batter, mixing until combined.
- Transfer batter into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat the butter until smooth in a large mixing bowl. Add in cream cheese and vanilla extract, mixing until well combined.
- Add in powdered sugar 1/3 cup at a time until fully combined. Place 1/2 cup of frosting in a seperate bowl and 1/4 cup into a third bowl.
- Add green food coloring to the remaining frosting in the big mixing bowl and combine until the desired shade of green.
- Add black food coloring to the bowl with 1/4 cup of frosting and mix until combined. Leave the bowl with 1/3 cup of frosting as is.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, frost it with the green frosting. Cover evenly.
- Transfer the white frosting to a piping bag fitted with a flat piping tip. Pipe a "v" onto the top third of the cake and then a line coming down the rest of the way from where the lines meet. Pipe two horizontal lines across the cake, each about 1/3rd of the way down.
- Transfer the black frosting to a piping bag fitted with a small circle piping tip. In the middle section of the cake, pipe a line that has some loops in it. This will be what the light bulb candies are on.
- Fill the remaining sections of the cake (except for the section inside of the "v" with sprinkles.
Adapted from Lorann's Red Velvet Cake recipe
- Fat Daddio's POB-8122 Sheet Cake Pan, 8 x 12 x 2 Inch, Silver
- Kootek 42 Pieces Cake Decorating Supplies Kit with 36 Icing Tips, 2 Silicone Pastry Bags, 2 Flower Nails, 2 Reusable Plastic Couplers Baking Supplies Frosting Tools Set for Cupcakes Cookies
- LorAnn Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion, 4 ounce bottle
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 92mg Sodium: 322mg Carbohydrates: 67g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 44g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g