Swedish Muskotsnittar – A Swedish crispy butter spice cookie made with just 6 ingredients. Perfect for the holidays with a cup of coffee or for a Christmas cookie exchange!
If you love dunking cookies in coffee like I do, then this is the recipe for you! These little Swedish cookie slices are nice and crispy, much like biscotti and are so perfect with a cup of coffee! This is the third international cookie recipe in my series leading up to Christmas, this time tackling a classic Christmas cookie recipe from the Sweden! After making these, I feel like I really need to try some other Swedish dessert recipes because this Muskotsnittar recipe was so wonderful!
Muskotsnittar has a wonderful balance of spices in a light, crisp butter cookie. Nutmeg is the star of the show in these cookie slices, they are much like a biscoff cookie but a little more subtle flavor wise plus, you only need six ingredients! These are a wonderful addition to any Christmas cookie exchange this holiday season!
Notes on muskotsnittar (Swedish nutmeg slice cookies) recipe
- Make sure butter is well softened. If it’s not, the dough is much more crumbly and harder to work with.
- If you have fresh nutmeg, use that! This recipe is best with freshly grated nutmeg but if you don’t have that, normal ground nutmeg will work too but will be a little less flavorful.
- Cutting the cookie slices while they are still warm helps keep them from breaking.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Add in softened butter and use a hand mixer to cream ingredients together.
- Slowly add in flour and continue to mix. Once all of the flour has been mixed in, wrap dough ball with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Once dough has been removed from the fridge, split the dough in half. Roll each chunk of dough out to be about 12" long and 3" across on the baking sheet. Run the back of a fork along horizontally across the cookie dough before placing in oven to cook for 14-16 minutes.
- Remove from oven and slice on a slight angle which each cookie slice being about 1" tall while still warm.
Love cookie recipes perfect for a cookie exchange?
Make sure to check out these recipes:
Norwegian Pecan Cookies from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
Mexican Wedding Cookies from Who Needs a Cape?
Dipped Shortbread Cookies from An Affair from the Heart