Slow Cooker Hash Brown Casserole – This classic side dish is made with just 6 simple ingredients in a crock pot! Perfect for the holidays and so easy to make!
Slow Cooker Hash Brown Casserole
One of my absolute favorite holiday dishes is hash brown casserole. It’s so tasty and every year, it is by far the thing I end up eating the most of. This year, as a part of my mission to make Thanksgiving easier than ever, I decided to make it in my crock pot and it turned out great! The great thing is that if you still want that crisp and cheesy top that you get from baking it, you can always throw it in a pan and broil it real quick right before serving but it is totally up to you whether you want to do that step. I liked it just as much straight from the slow cooker!
Common Questions About Making Hash Brown Casserole
Is hash brown casserole vegetarian?
It can be! If you are making it vegetarian, just make sure to use cream of celery instead of cream of chicken soup.
Should I use shredded hash browns or cubed hash browns?
Either is great in this recipe so what ever you prefer or can find at the grocery store.
Should I thaw the hash browns before use?
Yes, thawing them allows all of the ingredients to mix together better and it also releases some of the moisture from the potatoes.
What can I serve with hash brown casserole?
If you are serving hash brown casserole as a part of a holiday meal, here are some of my favorite other dishes –
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- Honey Mustard Ham
- Instant Pot Creamed Corn
- Instant Pot Glazed Carrots
- Bacon Beer Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Skillet Cornbread
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Pumpkin Roll Trifle
Can I make hash brown casserole ahead of time?
Yes! If you make it ahead of time –
- Let cool to room temperature
- Place in the refrigerator until 1 hour before you are ready to serve
- Transfer to a oven-safe dish and broil with extra cheese until warm and gooey
Additionally, you can add toppings such as crushed potato chips or panko breadcrumbs to the top to give it some extra texture.
- 32 ounces frozen hash browns (thawed)
- 10.5 ounces cream of celery (or cream of chicken)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Transfer potato mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker and set to HIGH for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. Everything should have melted together and cooked through.
- Keep on warm until ready to serve.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe