Saffron Rice – A quick and easy side dish filled with flavor. Made with just four simple ingredients, this rice is perfect served with everything from Indian to Mexican food.
It’s Freaky Friday time again! This time, it is our Spring Edition and I am so excited to share this saffron rice recipe from Healing Tomato with you guys! Freaky Friday is where a bunch of bloggers are all assigned different blogs and we make a recipe from their site to share! None of us know who is assigned to our site so it ends up a fun surprise and a great way to get to know each other and our sites better! It is organized by Michaela from An Affair from the Heart and it’s so fun!
So I’ve been in groups with Rini for many years now and she has some fantastic vegan and vegetarian recipes that I have been wanting to try out! We both have a background in the technology industry (both of us were sys admins!) and she started her site as a creative outlet and the name of the site comes from her love of tomatoes. Some of the other ones I considered whipping up included her caprese tart, watermelon lassi, and palak makhani.
It was a really tough choice picking which recipe to make since there were quite a few that I was interested in but I ended up deciding on her saffron rice. I grew up eating that bag of neon yellow spanish saffron rice growing up that was chocked full of salty deliciousness so when I realized you could make that same dish right at home with ingredients that are probably already in your pantry, I was on board!
Now I made a few changes to Rini’s recipe to make it a bit my own and simplified as her’s calls for a few extra spices such as cardamom so if you want to jazz it up even more, go check out her version by clicking here! Part of why I cut it down a bit was because I live in a rural enough area that it was difficult to even find saffron up here, let alone cardamom pods and cloves that aren’t already ground but I thought it tasted fantastic and I was super happy with it!
Can’t get enough of this saffron rice recipe? Try these other recipes!
- Mango Lassi – Fresh mango, yogurt, milk, and cardamom blended together into a delicious drink!
- Chicken Tempura – Light and crispy breaded chicken deep fried until golden brown!
- Filipino Carioca – Fried sticky rice balls with a coconut caramel sauce that are addicting!
- Teriyaki Chicken – This authentic Japanese recipe only takes 20 minutes to make! All you need is 5 simple ingredients and it’s way cheaper than getting it at a restaurant!
- 1 cup basmati rice (or jasmine)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or unsalted butter)
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- In a small bowl, combine the saffron threads and hot water. Let bloom for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium pot, combine water (or vegetable broth), rice, saffron, and ghee (or butter). Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low to cook for about 15 minutes, making sure not to lift the lid while the rice cooks. The liquid should absorb by then.
- Fluff with a spoon and serve.
- Royal Basmati Rice, 15-Pound Bag
- Original Grass-Fed Ghee by 4th & Heart, 16 Ounce, Pasture Raised, Non-GMO, Lactose Free, Certified Paleo and Keto
- Zaran Saffron, Superior Saffron Threads (Premium) All-Red Saffron Spice (Highest Quality Saffron for your Paella, Risotto, Persian Tea, Persian Rice and Basmati Rice) (Persian (Super Negin), 2 gram)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 86mg Carbohydrates: 6g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Take a look at all of our Fall 2019 Freaky Friday Recipes:
- An Affair from the Heart – Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- A Grande Life – Easy Beer Cheddar Dip
- Aunt Bee’s Recipes – Three Cheese Roast Beef Sliders
- Bowl Me Over – Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter Recipe
- Healing Tomato – Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Hostess at Heart – Caramel Apple Pie Snack Mix
- House of Nash Eats – Slow Cooker Applesauce Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- LeMoine Family Kitchen – White Cheddar Broccoli Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- Lemon Blossoms – Maple Oven Roasted Carrots
- Life, Love & Good Food – Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe
- Mildly Meandering – Saffron Rice
- Soulfully Made – Salted Dark Chocolate Orange Cookies
- Take Two Tapas – Margarita Pizza Pull Apart Bread
- The Speckled Palate – Halloween Peanut Butter Chocolate White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- West Via Midwest – Easy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Who Needs a Cape? – Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Tapenade