Red Velvet Cake Truffles – A delcious and festive treat made with just 3 simple ingredients – boxed cake mix, white chocolate, and cream cheese! Perfect for Christmas or Valentine’s Day!
Red Velvet Cake Truffles
Red velvet cake is a favorite for both Christmas and Valentine’s Day because of it’s festive and bright color that makes it stand out. I thought it would be a super fun addition to try making red velvet truffles to my holiday cookie tray this year and I decided to make them by whipping up a box of red velvet cake mix, blending it with cream cheese, rolling into balls, and covering them with white chocolate just like all of my other truffles this year would work and boy, was I surprised with how amazing they turned out! While it does take the extra step to cook the boxed cake mix, it makes the truffles so moist and delicious that I can’t imagine making them any other way. I suggest making the cake a day or two before you plan on turning it into truffles so that it has plenty of time to cool.
Common Questions About Making Red Velvet Truffles
What is red velvet cake?
Red velvet cake is a red or red-brown colored cake that is chocolate flavored.
Can I use chocolate instead of white chocolate?
You sure can! You could also roll them in a mix of chocolate and white chocolate or even just drizzle them with chocolate.
How should I decorate these truffles?
I used red candy melts that I melted and drizzled it on top of the truffles but you could also use sprinkles or just drizzle chocolate on top of the truffles instead.
Can I freeze the truffles?
Yes, freezing the truffles until you are ready to serve them works great.
What should I do if my truffle filling isn’t forming together?
If your truffles filling (red velvet cake and cream cheese) is loose and isn’t forming into balls, try adding a bit more cream cheese and blending again. That helps them form together more.
Looking for more truffle recipes? Check these out!
- Snickerdoodle Cookie Balls
- Fluffernutter Truffles
- Nutter Butter Truffles
- Gingerbread Cookie Truffles
- Sugar Cookie Truffles
- Mocha Truffles
- Golden Oreo Truffles
- Eggnog Cookie Truffles
- 1 box of red velvet cake mix (cooked according to the instructions on the box)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 16 ounces white chocolate chip morsels or almond bark
- In a food processor, blend cooked and cooled red velvet cake until it becomes crumbs. Add in cream cheese and process again until they are fully combined.
- Using a 1" cookie scoop, roll out truffles into balls and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all of the mixture has been used up.
- Place sheet pan in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the truffles have finished firming up in the freezer, place white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat until melted.
- Roll each truffle in white chocolate until fully coated and then transfer back to the lined sheet pan. Freeze or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe