This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CreateCozyComfort #CollectiveBias
Pasty Casserole – A delicious spin on a classic UP recipe! All of your favorite pasty ingredients in a casserole with a creamy cheese sauce.
In the Midwest, you can always tell the season by what’s on the table. A favorite up in the UP is a filling pasty during the cold months while we are bombarded by snow for months on end. A pasty is a staple up here that came over with Cornish miners back in the 1800’s and it has managed to be wildly popular to this day served warm topped with a bit of gravy.
Now, when I think of winter comfort foods, the other dish that comes to mind as a midwesterner is a casserole! My favorite casseroles all have one thing in common – Creamette® Extra Wide Egg Noodles! This winter, I wanted to combine a pasty with a casserole with all of the classic pasty ingredients such as beef, carrots, potatoes, onion, and rutabaga along with Creamette Extra Wide Egg Noodles 12oz and a cheesy bechamel sauce. Want to try Creamette Extra Wide Egg Noodles? Click HERE to earn on Ibotta at Walmart.
Interested in trying out Creamette Extra Wide Egg Noodles? Hover over the photo to click through for purchasing at Walmart.
I love Creamette Noodles because they soak in all of the rich flavors of any dish they are put in such as a casserole. Their noodles are perfect for everything from a holiday dinner with family to summer potlucks with friends, it adds a little heart to your hearty dishes! Check out the social hub to enter the sweepstakes* for a chance to win!
To get Creamette Extra Wide Egg Noodles, I popped over to my local Walmart. I found them right over in the noodle section with other Creamette Noodles.
This recipe is great to make in a big batch and reheat the next day. I think it’s almost better the next day because everything absorbs even more flavor!
* NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Riviana Cozy Comfort Dishes Sweepstakes begins 2/12/20 and ends 4/11/20. Legal resident of US. At least 18. Operated by Inmar Brand Solutions Inc. Official Rules at http://bit.ly/
- 1 package Creamette Extra Wide Egg Noodles 12oz
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 3 potatoes (skinned and diced)
- 2 large carrots (sliced)
- 1/2 rutabaga (skinned and diced)
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2/3 cup gruyere (shredded)
- Cook Creamette® Extra Wide Noodles according to the instructions on the packaging.
- In a large pan, combine ground beef and onion over medium high heat. Cook until beef has fully cooked through.
- In a large pot, combine oil, salt, pepper, potatoes, carrots, and rutabaga. Cook for 10 minutes over medium high heat, occasionally stirring.
- While the root vegetables are cooking, place butter in a different small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until melted and then add in the flour, stirring constantly until the paste thickens.
- Add in milk and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to low and add in salt, pepper, and gruyere. Continue to cook for about 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted in and the sauce has thickened up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cooked Creamette® Extra Wide Noodles 12oz, beef, root vegetables, and bechamel sauce in a 9"x13" pan. Transfer to the oven and cook for 40-45 minutes.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe