Mini Apple Pies – A quick and easy dessert perfect for fall! Pie crusts filled with apple pie filling and baked in a muffin pan.
Mini Apple Pies
I can’t believe apple season snuck up on me so quickly, it feels like just yesterday I was all in on making ice cream for summer! Now that it is September, it’s socially acceptable to baking apple everything so I decided to celebrate with a batch of these mini apple pies and apple snickerdoodle cookies!
Personally, I loved these even more than normal apple pie. Something about the bite-size apple pie was just so much more fun and SO much easier to serve. I just popped with them on a plate and I didn’t have to worry about trying to cut up a pie and inevitably making a mess.
After some trial and error, I determined that the perfect way to serve these little pies is heated up with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, whipped cream, and caramel sauce drizzled on top (my homemade salted caramel sauce is my go-to!). It’s truly pure fall perfection.
Common questions about making apple pie
What are the best apples for apple pie?
The go-to apple for most pie bakers is a granny smith apple but some other alternatives include jonagold, honeycrisp, braeburn, and golden delicious.
What are the ingredients for apple pie?
The ingredients for an apple pie usually are pie crusts, apple, apple pie spices, and sugar.
How to make mini apple pies
Step 1 – Make apple pie filling
The key to a good apple pie is the filling. To make it, combine water, cornstarch, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt together in a pan over medium-high heat. Once it thickens up, add in the apples and cook for 10 minutes.
Step 2 – Place pie crust in muffin pan
Cut out the pie crust into 3 inch wide circles and then place each in a non-stick sprayed muffin pan. You may need to do a bit of folding to get the pie crusts to fit into the muffin tins.
Step 3 – Fill pie crusts with apple pie filling
Transfer enough apple pie filling into each of the pie crusts to fill them up 3/4 of the way up.
Step 4 – Top with lattice
Top pies with either a lattice or another circular pie crust with holes cut in the top for venting. If you choose to do a lattice, make each of the strips about 1/2 inch thick and as long as the hole in the muffin pan. Trim off excess with a knife.
Step 5 – Bake
Brush each of the pies with egg wash and bake for 16-17 minutes.
Can’t get enough of this mini apple pies recipe? Try these other recipes!
- Chewy Oatmeal Apple Cookies
- Caramel Apple Snickerdoodle Cookie Cups
- Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- Amaretto Apple Cider Cocktail
- 2 pie crusts
- 4 medium apples, skinned and diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- Egg wash
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425 and spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. Pour into a medium pot over medium-high heat with brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt. Once the sauce begins to thicken up, add in the diced apples and reduce the heat to cook for 10-12 minutes to soften the apples, occasionally stirring.
- While the apples are cooking, roll out the pie crusts and using either a 3 inch wide circular cookie cutter or using a cup and cutting around it with a knife, cut out 12 circles. Place each inside a hole in the muffin pan and then fill it 3/4 full with the apple filling. Top the pies with either a lattice made from the remaining pie crust or just another circular piece of pie crust with slits on top to vent. If you choose to do a lattice, make each of the strips about 1/2 inch thick and as long as the hole in the muffin pan. Trim off excess with a knife.
- Brush the tops of the pies with egg wash and place in the oven to bake for 16-17 minutes or until the tops are a nice golden brown.
- FASAKA 3-Piece Round Cookie Cutters Set 2" -2.5" - 3" Heavy Duty Circle Baking Pastry Set for Decorating Cup Cake and Making the Pies …
- Bialetti Impact, 07559, textured nonstick surface, oil distribution,10 piece cookware set, gray
- AmazonBasics Nonstick Carbon Steel Muffin Pan, Set of 2, 12 Cups Each
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 140mg Carbohydrates: 35g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 18g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g