Matcha Milk Bread – Light and fluffy pull-apart Japanese bread that is easy to make! This milk bread recipe uses the tangzhong roux method with a touch of matcha!
Matcha Milk Bread
I’m back with another version of my ever popular Hokkaido Milk Bread recipe! This version has been popping around my head for a while because I thought that adding matcha would add a nice, subtle flavor to the bread. Once I got around to making it, I was pleasantly surprised with how delicious it is. Dare I say that I like it even more than the original version?
As I said in the previous milk bread recipe, I first had milk bread in when I was visiting Tokyo and I was instantly a fan. Making it at home is really easy but you just need to keep in mind that like most breads, it takes quite a while to make but it is worth it!
To serve it, I suggest heating it up just a bit and spreading some butter on it for breakfast. It’s delicious!
Common questions about making milk bread
What is milk bread?
Milk bread (or shokupan) is a Japanese bread made from a Tangzhong base. It is a very light and fluffy bread with a springy texture that is lightly sweetened.
Why do you need dry milk in bread?
Dry milk helps create a tender loaf of bread and gives it flavor.
What is a Tangzhong?
Tangzhong is an Asian baking technique in which part of the dough is cooked with water ahead of time in a roux.
Other tips and tricks on this milk bread recipe
- I highly suggest using at least a 9″x4″ bread pan that is deep. Mine was not as deep as I would have liked it to be so the bread spilled over the edge of the pan a bit instead of growing as high upward.
- This bread is a little sweet and great with butter or jam on it!
- You can turn this bread dough into a dinner roll recipe instead! Divide the dough into 16 pieces, roll the dough into balls, transfer to a greased 8″x8″ pan, and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and 190 degrees inside.
Can’t get enough of this matcha milk bread recipe? Try these other recipes!
- German Rye Bread (Roggenbrot) – Delicious homemade bread made with rye flour and caraway seeds. This bread recipe is easy to make and great for sandwiches.
- Finnish Cardamom Pulla Bread – A light and delicious loaf of Finnish cardamom bread. This cardamom bread dough braided into a beautiful loaf and topped with a cardamom wash and almonds.
- Raspberry Star Bread – Homemade bread with layers for raspberry jam, twisted into this incredible treat.
- 1/4 tablespoon bread flour
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast, 1 yeast packet
- 1 tablespoon dry milk powder or sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons matcha
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 egg, room temperature and beaten
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Heavy cream or melted butter
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combined the ingredients for the starter. Stir continuously for 4-5 minutes or until the starter thickens to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit until starter gets to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together bread flour, sugar, yeast, dry milk powder (optional), matcha powder, and salt. Once mixed, add in milk, starter, and beaten egg. Using the dough hook attachment, beat on low for 5 minutes. Add in butter and beat 5 more minutes. Turn the speed up to medium and beat for a final 5 minutes. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 equally sized pieces. Roll each out to be 8"x5" and then fold each of the long sides in 1". Starting on one of the shorter edges, roll up and place in a greased 9"x4" pan. Repeat with each piece of dough. Cover and let rise for an additional 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Once the dough has risen, brush the top of the dough with heavy whipping cream. Place into oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the inside is 190 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before removing bread from pan. Let cool on a cooling rack before serving.
- Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast,0.25 Ounce, 3 Count (Pack of 2)
- Jade Leaf Matcha Green Tea Powder - USDA Organic, Authentic Japanese Origin - Classic Culinary Grade (Smoothies, Lattes, Baking, Recipes) - Antioxidants, Energy [30g Starter Size]
- KitchenAid Classic Series 4.5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, Onyx Black (K45SSOB)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 33mg Sodium: 206mg Carbohydrates: 28g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g