Lemon Sugar Cookies – A delicious spin on classic sugar cookies made with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest! Easy to make and so tasty!
Lemon Sugar Cookies
One of my favorite parts of spring is getting to make lemon desserts. After a long winter, I am always craving flavors that taste like spring like lemon and other fresh fruits. Our produce always starts to bounce back and be so much better starting about now so it’s exciting to take advantage of it. One of my favorite ways to use lemon is in lemon sugar cookies, a bright spin on classic sugar cookies with a bit of lemon zest and lemon juice mixed right into the dough. The cookies are light and soft with just the right amount of flavor.
Now I strongly recommend letting the cookies sit in the refrigerator for a bit before you cook them so you avoid spreading and the cookies stay light and soft so please, try to do so. Regardless, the cookies will be delicious but I think they are best even being chilled for a few minutes. Additionally, this recipe makes about 12 cookies so if you want more, just double it.
Common Questions About Making Lemon Sugar Cookies
What are lemon sugar cookies?
Lemon sugar cookies are classic
How do I make my sugar cookies soft?
Sugar cookies can be made soft by making sure to refrigerate the dough before baking it. This helps prevent too much spreading that leads to crisp, thin cookies.
Do I have to use lemon?
Nope! You could use an citrus in this recipe such as orange, lime, grapefruit, or even a mix of citruses.
Can I decorate lemon sugar cookies?
Yes! I like to drizzle these cookies with white chocolate to decorate them or you could frost them and add sprinkles.
What other types of sugar cookies can I make?
Some of my favorites include –
- Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Cut Out Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- Amish Sugar Cookies
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies
What other lemon desserts can I make?
There are so many amazing lemon desserts! Some of the best are –
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Lemon Madeira Cake
- Lemon Madeleines
- Lemon Poppyseed Scones
- Lemon Truffles
- Lemon Brownies
- Lemon Snowball Cookies
- Lemon Sweet Rolls
Looking for more cookie recipes? Check these out!
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add in lemon juice and egg and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the cookie dough and mix until well combined.
- Cover and place dough the refrigerator to chill for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a sheet pan with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll into 1" balls. Place on the sheet pan with at least 2" of space on all sides and lightly press the dough down. Place in oven and bake for 9-11 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies start to turn golden. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining cookies.