Lemon Cake Truffles – A delicious treat made with just 3 simple ingredients – boxed lemon cake mix, white chocolate, and cream cheese! Perfect for any holiday or party!
Lemon Cake Truffles
Everyone who knows me knows that I love truffles. I show up at just about every event with a platter of truffle in hand, ready to hand them out to everyone. I think they are one of the greatest desserts for parties because of their bite sized nature and how delicious they are. It is so easy to make a big batch that feeds a crowd and affordable!
Now these truffles are made from 3 ingredients – lemon cake, cream cheese, and white chocolate. While they are technically no bake, you do have to make a lemon cake to make the truffles but really, just use a box of lemon cake mix. It’s easy and will taste just as good with a lot less work put into it.
I like to decorate these truffles by drizzling some white chocolate dyed yellow on top or using some festive sprinkles but it is totally up to you!
Common Questions About Making Lemon Cake Truffles
What are lemon cake truffles?
Lemon cake truffles are balls of blended cream cheese and lemon cake (from a box) and formed into balls. The balls are chilled and then rolled in white chocolate before being chilled again and served. They are a great make ahead dessert for holidays.
How should I decorate these truffles?
I used white chocolate that I melted and drizzled it on top of the truffles but you could also use sprinkles or just drizzle chocolate on top of the truffles instead. You can also add sprinkles into the truffles by transferring the combined cake and cream cheese mixture into a bowl and mixing the sprinkles in then with a spoon. Don’t mix more than you have to or else you will get streaking from the sprinkles.
Can I freeze the truffles?
Yes, freezing the truffles until you are ready to serve them works great.
What should I do if my truffle filling isn’t forming together?
If your truffles filling (lemon cake and cream cheese) is loose and isn’t forming into balls, try adding a bit more cream cheese and blending again. That helps them form together more.
Is this a no bake recipe?
Yes and no. I would lean more towards no because you do have to bake the box of cake mix before turning it in to truffles. I usually do it the night before and let it sit on the counter until morning so that it fully cools.
Do I have to use boxed cake mix?
Nope! Feel free to make a batch of your favorite lemon cake recipe. Just don’t make the frosting for it!
What other lemon desserts can I make?
Lemon desserts are so good! Some of my personal favorites include –
- Lemon Cookie Truffles (made with lemon oreos!)
- Lemon Cupcakes (with raspberry buttercream)
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Madeleines
Looking for more cake truffle recipes? Check these out!
- Cake Batter Truffles
- Carrot Cake Truffles
- Strawberry Cake Truffles
- Chocolate Cake Truffles
- Cherry Cake Truffles
- Red Velvet Cake Truffles
- 1 box of lemon cake mix (cooked according to the instructions on the box and cooled)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 16 ounces white chocolate chips (or almond bark)
- In a food processor, blend cooked and cooled lemon cake until it becomes crumbs. Add in cream cheese and process again until it's fully combined.
- Using a 1" cookie scoop, roll out truffles into balls and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all of the mixture has been used up.
- Place sheet pan in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up.
- Once the truffles have firmed up, place white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat until melted.
- Roll each truffle in white chocolate until fully coated and then transfer back to the lined sheet pan. Freeze or refrigerate until ready to serve.