This post and recipe were created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Halloween Monster Mash Cake
Halloween Monster Mash Cake – A fun Halloween cake perfect for a party! Green and purple layers of vanilla cake topped with black buttercream frosting.
Welcome to #HalloweenTreatsWeek 2018! I am so excited to be sharing three awesome Halloween recipes this week to celebrate the holiday. Some how, I didn’t have a single Halloween recipe on Mildly Meandering so I am finally changing that this year.
This first recipe up is this monster mash cake. I thought of the idea when I saw a pack of sprinkles sent to me by Sweets and Treats that was purple, green, black, and white. I thought making a cake with those colors would be really neat and the name “monster mash cake” sounded perfect!
Overall, this is actually a really approachable recipe to make. I suggest spreading out everything over two days, baking the cakes one day and decorating the next day. This gives the cakes plenty of time to cool before decorating.
Common questions about baking cakes
What are the basic ingredients for a cake?
The basic ingredients in most cake recipes include flour, sugar, butter, eggs, a leavening agent such as baking powder, salt, and vanilla extract. Additional ingredients include spices, other flavored extracts, mix-ins such as fruit, chocolate chips, etc.
What do eggs do in baking?
Eggs help give the cake structure, height, and bind the cake together. The amount of eggs used in a recipe can have an impact on it’s overall structure.
What is the purpose of butter in baking?
Butter or other similar fats help give cakes their texture and flavor.
What does liquid do in baking?
Liquids help make the cake moist and the texture of the cake.
How to make halloween monster mash cake
Step 1 – Make cake batter
To start out, make the cake batter and then divide it evenly between 3 bowls. This was the best method I could think of the make to get each of the cake batters to be the right color and to have even amounts of cake batter in each pan.
Step 2 – Add food coloring
Add food coloring into each of the bowls. You will want two bowls to be green and one purple. I highly suggest using purple gel food coloring rather than mixing blue and red together. I mixed them together and I wasn’t super happy with the color so if you have access to purple food coloring, use it! If not, mixing the red and blue will work but it may take more work to get the right color.
Step 3 – Level cake
If you don’t have very flat cakes, level it using a knife by cutting the top off. I found that there was a clear line around the cake where the cake had stopped touching the pan and had risen in the middle so I cut along that line using a bread knife.
Step 4 – Top with frosting
MAKE SURE YOUR CAKE IS COMPLETELY COOL BEFORE DOING THIS STEP. I suggest making the cakes the day before frosting and storing them in the refridgerator. Pipe frosting onto the first cake layer and then smooth it using an icing spatula or some other flat kitchen utensil so it is even. Repeat with the next two layers before frosting along the sides and smoothing it using the same icing spatula.
Step 5 – Add sprinkles
Add sprinkles to the cake. I used Sweets & Treats Sweet Sprinkles Mix: Dragon Dreams and I ball sprinkles from the mix on the side of the cake and the rest of the sprinkles on top. Alternatively, you can use similar ball sprinkles and sprinkle mixes on the cake if you can’t get the same one I used. In order to get the sprinkles to stay, lightly press them down as you put them on the cake.
Tips and tricks on this halloween monster mash cake
- You can use one 6″ pan to cook the cakes, just wash it out, grease, and dust it with flour after each cake so that nothing burns.
- You can use two 8″ pans instead of three 6″ pans, the bake time may need to be adjusted.
- You can use extracts other than vanilla to give the frosting flavor, I just went with vanilla because it’s a favorite of mine.
Looking for more cake recipes?
Halloween Monster Mash Cake
Halloween Monster Mash Cake - A fun Halloween cake perfect for a party! Green and purple layers of vanilla cake topped with black buttercream frosting.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- green gel food coloring
- purple gel food coloring
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- black gel food coloring
- Sprinkle mix I used Sweets and Treats Sweet Sprinkles Mix: Dragon Dreams
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and dust three 6 inch pans with flour.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean paste using the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
Add in each egg one at a time and then add in the milk.
Add in flour one cup at a time along with baking powder and salt until completely mixed into the batter.
Divide the batter evenly between three bowls. Add green food coloring to two of the bowls and purple to one of the bowls. Adjust the amount of food coloring to your preference and stir it in until it is completely mixed in.
Transfer batter to the cake pans and bake for 33-37 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick into the cake and it comes back clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
Beat together butter with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time until all of the powdered sugar has been incorporated. Add in vanilla extract, heavy whipping cream, and black food coloring and beat until you get the desired color of frosting. If it is not dark enough, continue adding in more black food coloring.
Transfer frosting to a piping bag with a 2A piping tip.
If your cakes are not flat on top, cut the tops off to make them flat and each layer even in height.
Take one of the green cake layers and pipe frosting around the edge and in the middle. Use an icing spatula to spread the frosting evenly on top. Repeat with the next two cake layers (make sure the purple cake layer is in the middle). Pipe around the side of each of the cake layers and then using the icing spatula to spread it evenly around.
Seperate the ball sprinkles from the rest of the Sweet Sprinkles Mix: Dragon Dreams. Place the ball sprinkles along the side of the cake and the rest of the sprinkles on top. To keep the sprinkles from falling off, lightly press them on to the cake as you place them on.
Happy Halloween! We hope you’re ready for a spooktacular event as we celebrate Halloween with the first annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This haunting week-long event is filled with fantastic Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For our very first #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 100 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 5 (five) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1) Instant Pot (8 Qt) to one lucky winner!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Pure Vanilla Extract, Ground Cinnamon, Caramel Extract, Almond Extract, Pumpkin Pie Dip Mix and Adam’s Best Twice as strong Vanilla
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Halloween Cookie House Bat, Tombstone and Skull 3-Piece Cookie Cutter Set, Halloween Skull Tube Pan, Zombie Cupcake Liners, Skull Sugar Decorations
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away 1 (one) 1.5lb Sprinkle Mix Kit from their shop
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a $25 Visa Gift Card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 1st – October 6th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Treat Street USA ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Melting Ghost Hot Chocolate from Big Bear’s Wife
- Day of the Dead Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes from Pook’s Pantry
- Devilish Halloween Deviled Eggs from Pastry Chef Online
- Candy Corn Layer Cake from ReciPEAs
- Cauldron Cupcakes from Mrs. Happy Homemaker
- Black Velvet Cake from Sugar Dish Me
- Frankenstein’s Monster Pudding Cups from I am a Honey Bee
- Purple Velvet Halloween Layer Cake from Love and Confections
- Chocolate Dipped Brownie Pops from Southern From Scratch
- Creepy Crawly Dirt Cup Pudding Parfaits from 4 Sons R Us
- “Guts” Cinnamon Rolls from A Blender Mom
- Vampire Ice Cream Floats from Daily Dish Recipes
- Mummy Bites from Eat Move Make
- Monkey Brain Bread from Pint Sized Baker
- Halloween Cookie Pizza from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Boo Berry Pie from Kudos Kitchen
- Monster Donuts from The Baking Fairy
- Boogeyman Brew from Who Needs A Cape?
- Purple People Eater Thumbprints from The Spiffy Cookie
- Hocus Pocus Halloween Decorated Pretzels from Lady Behind The Curtain
- Black and Orange Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Skeleton Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Monster Mash Cake from Mildly Meandering
- Graveyard Skillet Brownies from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Blood-Red Pomegranate Margarita from The Redhead Baker
- “Pumpkin” Snoballs from The Beard and The Baker
- Halloween Chocolate Cherry Hand Pies from House of Nash Eats
- Halloween Dunkaroo Dip from Savory Experiments
- Bloody Eyeball Cherry Cheesecake Cupcakes from Katie’s Cucina
- Eye Scream Sundae from For the Love of Food