Green Tea Ice Cream – An easy summer dessert made with only 4 ingredients! This refreshing recipe is inspired by Japanese flavors and it’s so easy to make!
Green Tea Ice Cream
I am a huge green tea fan. I caught the bug in Japan a few years back and have since tried everything from matcha Kit-Kats, matcha cake, iced matcha lattes (Starbucks copycat recipe), matcha macarons, etc. Matcha ice cream is one of my favorite flavors from my local ice cream shop so when I was brainstorming fun summer dessert recipes, this was one of the first to come to mind!
Something I love about this recipe is it is a no churn ice cream recipe. You don’t have to have any special equipment to make it, just a stand or hand mixer to beat the whipped cream and four simple ingredients. The recipe takes just 5 minutes to make start to finish (plus the time it spends in the freezer freezing!). If you are a matcha fan like me, then you must try this recipe ASAP! It really is perfect for summer!
Make sure to check out my 40+ best ice cream recipes post for all of the very best ice cream recipes!
Common questions about making no churn ice cream
What does it mean no churn?
No churn means that the recipe doesn’t need an ice cream maker in order to be made. No churn ice cream recipes are a great option for those who either do not have the room to store an ice cream maker or those who only want to make ice cream every once in a while. I personally only make no churn ice cream recipes because they are SO easy.
Can you make homemade ice cream without rock salt?
Yes, no churn ice cream recipes do not need rock salt.
How do you make simple ice cream?
- Beat together whipped cream and any powdered add-ins (if you are using any such as matcha powder).
- Fold in sweetened condensed milk and any other solid add-ins such as chocolate chips, candy pieces, etc.
- Pour into a freezer-safe pan and let freeze for 5-6 hours.
What other types of no churn ice cream can I make?
So many! Some of my favorites include –
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Lavender Lemon Earl Grey Ice Cream
- Mocha Ice Cream
- Rocky Road Ice Cream
- Coffee Ice Cream
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Other tips and tricks on this green tea ice cream recipe
- Is green tea ice cream vegan?
- No, this recipe is not vegan out of the box but to make it vegan, use 2 cans coconut milk (13.66 oz), 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2-3 tablespoons matcha powder, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- If you love Japanese recipes, make sure to check out my Japanese Recipe Collection!
- This ice cream lasts quite a while in the freezer, just make sure you cover it up with plastic wrap or a lid.
Can’t get enough of this recipe? Try these other green tea recipes!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, and matcha powder. Beat until the consistency of whipped cream (fluffy with stiff peaks).
- Gently fold sweetened condensed milk into the matcha whipped cream until fully combined.
- Transfer to a bread pan and freeze 5-6 hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Jade Leaf Matcha Green Tea Powder - USDA Organic, Authentic Japanese Origin - Classic Culinary Grade (Smoothies, Lattes, Baking, Recipes) - Antioxidants, Energy [30g Starter Size]
KitchenAid Classic Series 4.5 Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, Onyx Black (K45SSOB)
AmazonBasics Nonstick Carbon Steel Baking Bread Pan, 9.5 x 5 Inch, Set of 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
This nutritional information can vary depending on the specific products you choose so this is a general guess of the correct nutritional information based on the products I used. Please keep that in mind when making the recipe.