Grasshopper Pie – A delicious (and boozy!) no bake dessert is filled with mint and chocolate flavor! This gorgeous green dessert is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or any spring party!
With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I am super excited to be sharing a festive dessert that is the prettiest shade of green! No grasshoppers were harmed in the making of this pie, it is named a grasshopper pie because of the shade of green and because of it’s similarities to a grasshopper cocktail. Both are made with creme de menthe to give them a wonderful minty flavor with the pie additionally using creme de cacao for extra flavor! The filling is then put into a chocolate cookie crust and then topped with whipped topping and shaved chocolate and I’ve got to say, it’s delicious!
Common Questions About Making a Grasshopper Pie
What is a grasshopper pie?
A grasshopper pie is a no bake pie inspired by a classic grasshopper cocktail. It has a chocolate cookie crust and the filling is made from a blend of marshmallows, creme de menthe, and creme de cacao.
Can I make a kid-friendly version of this recipe?
Yes! Skip the creme de menthe and creme de cacao and use 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and 1 cup chopped andes mints instead.
Is this a no bake dessert?
Yes, this is a no bake dessert.
Can I use a pre-made crust?
Yes! You can use a pre-made oreo or chocolate graham cracker crust.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 1 pie which is about 8 servings.
How long does this pie last?
This pie lasts up to three days when covered and refrigerated.
Looking for more easy dessert recipes? Check these out!
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs*
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup creme de menthe
- 1/4 cup creme de cacao
- Green food coloring (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) tub cool whip, divided
- Shaved chocolate (for garnish)
- In a large bowl, mix the chocolate cookie crumbs, melted butter, and sugar until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie pan.
- Melt the marshmallows with the milk in a saucepan over low heat or in the microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Allow to cool slightly, then stir in the creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and green food coloring (if using). Allow to cool at least 10 minutes.
- Fold in 3/4 of the cool whip, reserving the rest for topping.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie crust, then place into the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours.
- Top with remaining cool whip and chocolate shavings before slicing and serving.
* I suggest using oreos or chocolate graham crackers!
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.