Ghost Meringues – An adorable Halloween dessert! Homemade vanilla meringues that are baked and then decorated to look like ghosts!
These ghost meringues are my new favorite Halloween dessert! Not only are they adorable but they are also tasty and simple to make. Perfect for any of your upcoming Halloween parties!
To make ghost meringues, you simply beat egg whites, sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form before piping them into little dollops and baking them until crisp. After they cool, you draw on eyes and serve!
Common Questions About Making Ghost Meringues
What are ghost meringues?
Ghost meringues are simple whipped egg whites and sugar that are piped into dollops and baked until hard. After being baked, eyes are added using a food-safe marker.
Can I make the meringues a different flavor?
Of course! You can directly substitute in any extract flavor (such as lemon extract, almond extract, etc) but I think simple vanilla tastes the best.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 36 meringues.
How long do ghost meringues last?
They last up to three days when stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Egg whites are the base of our meringues. They’ll develop more air and become lighter if your egg whites are at room temperature but they don’t have to be.
- Granulated sugar sweetens the meringues and helps stabilize the egg whites.
- Vanilla will enhance the sweetness of the meringues and add a subtle vanilla flavor.
- Make sure you use an edible food marker! You can find them at most craft store. If you don’t have a food marker, combine 1/4 teaspoon black food coloring and 1 tablespoon of vodka. Then paint on the eyes with a food brush.
Looking for more Halloween recipes? Check these out!
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Black food marker
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, being mixing the egg whites at medium speed while slowly adding the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag and create small round dollops on the baking sheet (you want them to be about 1-inch or the size of a Hershey kiss).
- Bake for 1 hour then turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool to room temperature inside.
- Add two small dots to the meringues using the black food marker to resemble eyes.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.