This post is sponsored by Wonder Mill but the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
German Rye Bread (Roggenbrot)
German Rye Bread (Roggenbrot) – Delicious homemade bread made with rye flour and caraway seeds. This bread recipe is easy to make and great for sandwiches!
I am an absolute bread fanatic but until recently, I avoided making it myself because I never seemed to have the right flours to make the breads I was excited about or it was pricey to buy the flours I wanted. This was the case until I got my very own grain mill. Yes, I have started milling my own grains I don’t think I could go back now!
This all started back when I went to the Everything Food Conference out in Utah last May and I was able to connect with WonderMill. Since then, I have gotten their WonderMill Grain Mill and WonderMix Kitchen Mixer and they have been life changing. I have been able to make my own flours using rye, millet, buckwheat, and more in just seconds which has been pretty incredible. There are so many different options for what can be milled in the WonderMill Grain Mill that I can’t wait to try out soon.
Now the WonderMix Kitchen Mixer is does so many different functions that it’s kinda crazy. In addition to having a blender and a mixer built in, there are a variety of different attachments such as cookie whips, meat grinders, grain flakers, etc.
For this recipe, I basically made the whole thing directly in mixing bowl (plus I had one additional bowl to mix flour in). It did everything from mixing to kneading for me which definitely made the bread making process a lot more streamlined and simple for me.
Now before I even started making the bread, I started with making the rye flour. To do this, I simply put rye into the WonderMill Grain Mill and it came right out as flour. I really like that I was able to adjust how coarse I wanted the flour to be. For this recipe, I set it to “bread” and it came out perfect. I bought my rye right from Amazon and the little bag I had made about 4-5 cups of rye flour. After I used what I wanted for the recipe, I put the rest in a mason jar for later use.
So the big question – what does “roggenbrot” mean? Well, it means “rye bread”!
Tips and tricks on this german rye bread (roggenbrot) recipe
- If you don’t like caraway seeds (or don’t have any on hand), feel free to skip them in this recipe. It is a personal preference.
- This bread is great served warm with a slab of butter on it or as the bread in a sandwich such as a reuben.
- Make sure not to skip putting the water into the oven with the bread, this helps create the hard crust.
- You can use a thermometer (make sure it is a kitchen-safe one) to check if the bread is done. It should register to 160 degrees internally.
Can’t get enough of this german rye bread (roggenbrot) recipe? Try these other recipes!
- Hokkaido Milk Bread (Shokupan)
- Finnish Cardamom Pulla Bread
- Raspberry Star Bread
- Apple Fritter Monkey Bread
- 3/4 cup bread flour (also called strong flour)
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups water (lukewarm)
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- Corn meal
- Combine ingredients for the starter in the bowl of the WonderMix Kitchen Mixer. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Combine the bread flour, rye flour, caraway seeds, salt, and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl and stir until combined. Add to the starter once the 10 minutes has passed and it has started to bubble. Do not stir. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let sit for 2-3 hours.
- Uncover the dough and place the lid onto the bowl of the WonderMix Kitchen Mixer. Turn the knob to "2" and let it run for 5 minutes.
- If you do not have a WonderMix Kitchen Mixer, transfer the bread to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, let sit for 10 minutes, and knead for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap or a clean towel. Let rise for 2 hours.
- Punch the dough down and then let rise for 1 more hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly cover the bottom of the dough with a bit of corn meal and then place the dough on a sheet pan. Using a sharp knife, cut 3 horizontal lines and 3 vertical lines across the top of the bread. These lines should intersect.
- Place the sheet pan with the bread dough on the bottom rack of the oven along with a pan with 1 cup of water in it next to it. Cook for 15 minutes before lowering the temperature to 400 and cooking for about 40 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and place on a metal cooling rack. Let cool completely before cutting it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Organic Rye Berries, 5 Pounds - Whole Wheat Grain, Non-GMO, Kosher, Raw, Bulk Seeds, Product of the USA
WonderMix Kitchen Mixer - German Design Bread Dough Mixer Machine - Electric Stand Mixer with Bonus Heavy Duty Blender and Attachments High Capacity Bread Mixer
Powerful Electric Grain Mill Grinder for Home and Professional Use - High Speed Electric Flour Mill Grinder for Healthy Grains and Gluten-Free Flours - Electric Grain Grinder Mill by Wondermill
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 535mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g
This nutritional information can vary depending on the specific products you choose so this is a general guess of the correct nutritional information based on the products I used. Please keep that in mind when making the recipe.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe