General Tso Chicken Stir Fry – Skip the takeout and try making this easy 30 minute meal! Breaded chicken baked and covered in a delicious general tso sauce! Add in some vegetables and dig in to this easy general tso chicken!
General Tso Chicken Stir Fry
I love making stir fry! It’s such a simple way to make a easy meal with so little work! This entire week, I had really been craving takeout so I decided one night to making this stir fry instead and thus, this easy general tso chicken recipe was born! It was a bit healthier than takeout would have been since the chicken is baked and was so simple to make! The general tso sauce was made from simple ingredients that you can reuse to make a variety of different stir fry sauces! This really is the ultimate easy general tso chicken recipe and my new favorite stir fry recipe!
Now the vegetables are optional to add in but I think adding them into is a great way to get more vegetables into your diet. The general tso sauce is so delicious on the veggies that you will enjoy them just as much as the chicken.
Tips and tricks on general tso chicken stir fry recipe
- Feel free to add in any of your favorite vegetables! Some other great ones for stir fry are bok choy, cabbage, peppers, mushrooms, pea pods, etc.
- If you want to cut the carbs out of this meal, skip the breading on the chicken! You can still just bake the chicken or cook it in a pan.
- This meal is great served over rice or noodles.
Can’t get enough of this general tso’s chicken recipe? Try these other recipes!
- 3-4 chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
General Tso Sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, ground ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Place chicken and beaten egg in a ziploc bag and close. Shake until chicken is well coated. Transfer each piece of chicken into the breading bowl and completely coat with breading. Place each piece of chicken on the lined baking sheet and spray chicken with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes. Set oven to broil and cook for 2 minutes more before removing baking sheet from oven, flipping chicken and spraying with more baking spray, and baking another 2-3 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, place vegetable in a large non-stick pan and cook over medium heat until they have softened.
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients except for the cornstarch for general tso sauce. Cook over medium heat and once the brown sugar has melted, turn down to a simmer and add in cornstarch, stirring until well combined. Continue to simmer sauce for 2--3 minutes or until it has thickened up.
- Combined cooked chicken and sauce with the vegetables. Let simmer together for 2-3 minutes before serving. Top with sliced green onions and sesame seeds (optional).
Adapted from Carlsbad Cravings