Falafel Burgers – A delicious spin on classic falafel perfect for summer. Homemade falafel formed into a patty and served with pita bread and hummus!
It’s one of my favorite times of the yeah again – Burger Month! It’s a yearly event that I participated in since last year when I created my spinach artichoke turkey burger recipe (which was delicious so go give it a try). This year, I wanted to create a meatless burger and after making falafel for the first time recently, I thought it would be fun to combine those two things into one awesome meal!
This falafel burger recipe is super simple, it is just homemade falafel with a few toppings. Something that I did to make this burger extra special was to make homemade pita bread that was the right size to be the buns of the falafel burger. It was really easy to do but alternatively, you could just buy pita bread from the store and use that or a normal burger bun.
Some of my favorite toppings for falafel burgers are sundried tomatoes, hummus, spinach, and feta but some other ideas include olives, red onions, or roasted red peppers.
Common questions about making falafel burgers
What is a falafel burger made of?
Falafel burgers are made from chickpeas, cilantro, parsley, cumin, baking powder, flour, salt, and shallots (or green onions).
Is falafel good for you?
Overall, falafel is good for you and a great source of protein from the chickpeas.
Is falafel vegan?
Yes, falafel is usually a vegan and dairy-free. The toppings are where things can not be vegan if you add things such as feta cheese so just be mindful of toppings if you are vegan/dairy-free.
Can’t get enough of this falafel burger recipe? Try these other recipes!
- Curry Udon – A flavorful Japanese dish that is the perfect comfort food! Udon noodles topped with a homemade curry sauce.
- Asian Pork Burger – An Asian spin on a classic American meal! Ground pork burger patties topped with a delicious slaw.
- Chicken Schnitzel – A classic german dish made with breaded chicken deep fried until golden brown.
- German Roggenbrot (Rye Bread) – Delicious homemade bread made with rye flour and caraway seeds.
- 4 oz dried chickpeas
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon shallots
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Burger buns or pita bread
- Sundried tomatoes
- Soak chickpeas in water for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Drain chickpeas and then combine all ingredients for the falafel in a food processor. Blend until fairly smooth.
- Shape falafel into disc shapes that are about 3 inches across. Place falafel patties on a sheet pan or plate and refridgerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the falafel has been refridgerated, pour about 1/2" of a neutral frying oil such as vegetable or canola in a deep pan. Bring the oil up to medium heat and then transfer 2-3 falafel patties into the pan at a time, depending on how big the pan is. Cook until golden and then flip, cooking until golden on that side too.
- Transfer cooked falafel onto a plate lined with paper towel until the rest is cooked.
- To assemble, place falafel burger on a bun and add on any toppings on top. Serve immediately.
- Hamilton Beach (35021) Deep Fryer, Cool Touch With Basket, 2 Liter Oil Capacity, Electric, Professional Grade
- Non-GMO Project Verified Garbanzo Beans | 100% Non-Irradiated | Certified Kosher Parve | USA Grown | Field Traced (We tell you which field we grew it in)…
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 795mg Carbohydrates: 29g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g