This post is part of a kick-butt burger grill giveaway hosted by GirlCarnivore but the burger epicness is all my own.
Falafel Burgers – A delicious spin on classic falafel perfect for summer. Homemade falafel formed into a patty and served with pita bread and hummus!
It’s one of my favorite times of the yeah again – Burger Month! It’s a yearly event that I participated in since last year when I created my spinach artichoke turkey burger recipe (which was delicious so go give it a try). This year, I wanted to create a meatless burger and after making falafel for the first time recently, I thought it would be fun to combine those two things into one awesome meal!
This falafel burger recipe is super simple, it is just homemade falafel with a few toppings. Something that I did to make this burger extra special was to make homemade pita bread that was the right size to be the buns of the falafel burger. It was really easy to do but alternatively, you could just buy pita bread from the store and use that or a normal burger bun.
Some of my favorite toppings for falafel burgers are sundried tomatoes, hummus, spinach, and feta but some other ideas include olives, red onions, or roasted red peppers.
Common questions about making falafel burgers
What is a falafel burger made of?
Falafel burgers are made from chickpeas, cilantro, parsley, cumin, baking powder, flour, salt, and shallots (or green onions).
Is falafel good for you?
Overall, falafel is good for you and a great source of protein from the chickpeas.
Is falafel vegan?
Yes, falafel is usually a vegan and dairy-free. The toppings are where things can not be vegan if you add things such as feta cheese so just be mindful of toppings if you are vegan/dairy-free.
Can’t get enough of this falafel burger recipe? Try these other recipes!
- Curry Udon – A flavorful Japanese dish that is the perfect comfort food! Udon noodles topped with a homemade curry sauce.
- Asian Pork Burger – An Asian spin on a classic American meal! Ground pork burger patties topped with a delicious slaw.
- Chicken Schnitzel – A classic german dish made with breaded chicken deep fried until golden brown.
- German Roggenbrot (Rye Bread) – Delicious homemade bread made with rye flour and caraway seeds.
- 4 oz dried chickpeas
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon shallots
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- Burger buns or pita bread
- Sundried tomatoes
- Soak chickpeas in water for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Drain chickpeas and then combine all ingredients for the falafel in a food processor. Blend until fairly smooth.
- Shape falafel into disc shapes that are about 3 inches across. Place falafel patties on a sheet pan or plate and refridgerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the falafel has been refridgerated, pour about 1/2" of a neutral frying oil such as vegetable or canola in a deep pan. Bring the oil up to medium heat and then transfer 2-3 falafel patties into the pan at a time, depending on how big the pan is. Cook until golden and then flip, cooking until golden on that side too.
- Transfer cooked falafel onto a plate lined with paper towel until the rest is cooked.
- To assemble, place falafel burger on a bun and add on any toppings on top. Serve immediately.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Be sure to follow along every day for the entire month of May for chances to win the Ultimate Burger Grilling Giveaway and check BurgerMonth.com daily for all of the amazing burgers. You don’t want to miss a single recipe!!!
Girl Carnivore A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures A Simple Pantry Abra’s Kitchen AcadiaTwo’s Kitchen Antics An Affair from the Heart Bakersbeans Betsi’s World Caroline’s Cooking Cindy’s Recipes and Writings City Living Boston Cluttercafe Cooking With Carlee Convos with Karen Daily Dish Recipes Dance Around The Kitchen Dixie Chik Cooks Dizzy Busy and Hungry Doodlecraft Everyday Eileen Family Around the Table Family Food on the Table Family Spice Farmwife Feeds Food Above Gold For the Love of Food Grillax.com Grilling Montana Grumpy’s Honeybunch Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks Honeybunch Hunts HORNS BBQ Intelligent Domestications It Is a Keeper Jolene’s Recipe Journal Jonesin For Taste Juggling Act Mama Karen’s Kitchen Stories Kate’s Recipe Box Krazy Kitchen Mom Life Anchored Life of a Ginger Mildly Meandering Miss in the KItchen Palatable Pastime Pastry Chef Online Perspective Portions Plowing Through Life PNW Eats Pook’s Pantry Real Life With Dad Sarah’s Cucina Bella Seduction In The Kitchen Simple and Savory Souffle Bombay Spiced Spoonabilities Strawberry Blondie Kitchen SueBee Homemaker Sumptuous Spoonfuls Sweet ReciPeas Swirls of Flavor Take Two Tapas Tampa Cake Girl Taste And See The Baking Fairy The Beard and The Baker The Complete Savorist The Crumby Kitchen The Heritage Cookbook Project The Keto Guy The Redhead Baker The Rowdy Baker The Schmidty Wife The Shirley Journey The Spiffy Cookie This Farm Girl Cooks Thyme for Cocktails We are not Martha Well Fed Baker West Via Midwest What’s Cooking Italian Style Cuisine Who Needs A Cape? Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen Wok & Skillet Zest & Simmer
A huge thanks to the #BurgerMonth sponsors for the Ultimate Burger Grilling Giveaway: Cabot Cheese, Char-Griller Grills, Crow Canyon Home, Porter Road, Melissas Produce, Red Duck, Spiceology, & Western BBQ