Eggnog Cookies – A festive spin on classic sugar cookies made with eggnog. The perfect addition to any holiday cookie tray!
Eggnog and sugar cookies are two of my favorite holiday flavors. Some how, I had never thought to combine those two things until I was brainstorming how to make eggnog cookie truffles and realized I could just make the truffles with eggnog flavored sugar cookies. The idea blew my mind and I set to work trying to make the perfect eggnog cookies!
Now these might not be the most beautiful cookies ever but with a drizzle of eggnog icing and some sprinkles, they look pretty festive! I shared them with my friends and family and these cookies were a huge hit with everyone!
Common Questions About Making Eggnog Cookies
Can I bake with eggnog?
Of course! Some of my favorite recipes using eggnog include –
- Frosted Chai Spice Eggnog Cookies
- No Bake Peppermint Eggnog Pie
- Eggnog Truffles
- Eggnog Cheesecake Bars
- Eggnog Poke Cake
- Eggnog Snickerdoodles
Are these cookies soft or crispy?
These are pretty soft cookies!
Can I add icing to eggnog cookies?
Of course! I included an optional icing recipe in the recipe card down below but you can also turn it into a frosting by using a little less liquid.
Can I add rum to eggnog cookies?
I suggest using 1 teaspoon of rum extract rather than straight up rum. It will taste better in the dough and be safe for all ages to eat.
Can I freeze eggnog cookie dough?
You sure can. Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap and then place in the freezer until you are ready to bake the cookies. Then, let the cookie dough defrost and get to room temperature before rolling and baking.
Can I use homemade eggnog?
Yes! I use my homemade eggnog recipe for these cookies every time I make them.
Looking for more cookie recipes? Check these out!
- Chai Spiced Eggnog Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Sno-Cap Cookies
- Soft Gingersnap Cookies
- Fluffernutter Cookies
- Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Spiced Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Pinch of salt
Eggnog Icing (Optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons eggnog
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg, vanilla, and eggnog, mixing until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Add that into the wet ingredients until fully combined.
- Using a 1" cookie scoop, roll out cookie dough into balls before placing on the lined sheet pan. Leave about 2" around each cookie so that they have room to spread. Place sheet pan in oven and cook for about 9-11 minutes. The bottoms of the cookies will have browned a bit but will be very soft. Remove from oven and let sit on sheet pan for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once cookies have fully cooled, you can make the eggnog icing by mixing together the powdered sugar and eggnog in a bowl. Once they are fully combined and smooth, drizzle across the top of the cooled cookies.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe