Earthquake Cake – A delicious chocolate cake recipe made with chocolate cake mix, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, and pecans with a cream cheese swirl. So indulgent and easy to make!
This cake is FANTASTIC! Chocolate cake is always a weakness of mine so I’m always trying new versions with this being one of my favorites. I love the combination of chocolate, pecans, and coconut with little puddles of cheesecake filling on top. It’s a really addicting cake!
Common Questions About Making Earthquake Cake
What is an earthquake cake?
Earthquake cake is a simple chocolate cake made with chocolate cake mix, shredded coconut, pecans, chocolate chips, and cream cheese.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 8-10 servings.
Do I have to use boxed cake mix?
Nope! If you have a favorite chocolate sheet cake recipe, feel free to use that and then just add in the mix-ins and cream cheese filling.
What kind of cake mix should I use?
I used a fudge cake mix but you could use German chocolate cake mix or any other basic chocolate cake mix instead.
Why aren’t the other boxed cake mix ingredients listed?
I didn’t list them in the ingredients because it varies from cake mix to cake mix. Generally, it’s some vegetable oil, water, and eggs so just check the box!
What can I top this cake with?
Can I toast the pecans?
Yes! I love toasting pecans before using them in desserts as it gives them a stronger flavor.
How long does this cake?
This cake lasts up to three days when covered and refrigerated.
Looking for more chocolate desserts? Check these out!
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients required on back of the box)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9"x13" baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare cake mix as directed on package, set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy, then slowly incorporate the powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle coconut and pecans into the bottom of the prepared 9"x13" dish, then pour cake batter over the top.
- Add dollops of the cream cheese mixture to the top of the cake then use a butter knife to swirl the cream cheese with the cake batter.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the cake, then bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before slicing and serving with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.