Death by Chocolate Poke Cake – A delicious chocolate cake recipe made with chocolate cake mix, chocolate sweetened condensed milk, chocolate whipped cream frosting, and mini chocolate chips. So indulgent and easy to make!
Death by Chocolate Poke Cake
Calling all chocolate fans! It doesn’t get more indulgent than this death by chocolate poke cake. It has a base layer of chocolate cake with holes poked into it that chocolate sweetened condensed milk seeps into and then it is coated with a chocolate whipped cream frosting and mini chocolate chips. It’s easy to make and also a crowdpleaser so it’s a great dessert to bring to any upcoming potlucks and parties.
Common Questions About Making a Death by Chocolate Poke Cake
What is a death by chocolate poke cake?
Death by chocolate cake is a simple poke cake recipe made with chocolate boxed cake mix that is baked and then covered with a chocolate sweetened condensed milk and a chocolate whipped cream frosting.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 8-10 servings.
Why is it called “death by chocolate cake”?
It gets the name from how chocolate-y and indulgent it is.
How long does this cake last?
This cake lasts up to three days when covered and refrigerated.
What can I top this cake with?
I like topping this cake with mini chocolate chips but you could also use chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, chopped nuts, or even your favorite chopped candy bar.
Why aren’t the other boxed cake mix ingredients listed?
I didn’t list them in the ingredients because it varies from cake mix to cake mix. Generally, it’s some vegetable oil, water, and eggs so just check the box!
Looking for more chocolate cake recipes? Check these out!
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box chocolate cake mix + ingredients required on the box
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the packaging for a 9x13" cake pan.
- During the last 5 minutes of baking, prepare the chocolate condensed milk by microwaving chocolate chips and condensed milk together in 30 second intervals, mixing well after each, until smooth.
- Immediately poke holes in the finished cake, then pour the chocolate condensed milk on top.
- Pour the chocolate syrup on top of the cake and then allow it to cool to room temperature. Once it has cooled to room temperature, cover and place in the fridge to chill for at least 4 hours.
- Once chilled, prepare the chocolate whipped cream by adding the heavy cream, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Evenly spread chocolate whipped cream across the cake and top with mini chocolate chips. Slice and serve.
Make sure to follow along on Pinterest for more Mildly Meandering recipes!
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.