Coconut Mug Cake – A delicious coconut cake in a mug in less than 5 minutes. This is the perfect single serving dessert for coconut fans!
Coconut Mug Cake
I’m finally back with another mug cake! I’ve had this coconut mug cake sitting on my computer for about 5 months and every week, I’ve added it to my list of posts to do and it has continually gotten pushed back. This recipe is seriously a must-make so I’m really excited to finally have it done!
Okay so this coconut mug cake is everything a coconut fan could ask for. There is shredded coconut and coconut emulsion (or extract) in the base and then it’s topped with whipped cream and toasted shredded coconut. You can make it even more coconut-y by using coconut milk and coconut oil in the base and topping it with coconut whipped cream but it’s up to you on how far you want to go with the coconut!
Something I love about mug cakes (like my peanut butter mug cake) is how they are single serving. It’s just enough cake for me and it only takes about 5 minutes total to whip up so it’s perfect for those moments when you are having a craving for something sweet!
Common questions about making mug cakes
How do I make a mug cake?
Making a mug cake is simple. You combine the ingredients such as flour, baking powder, melted butter, milk, sugar, and vanilla and stir until well combined. Pour into a mug and mircowave for 1-2 minutes or until cooked through.
Can you make a cake in a microwave?
You place cake batter in a microwave-safe mug and then place in a microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Tips and tricks on this coconut mug cake recipe
- Adding ice cream and whipped cream on top is extra delicious and indulgent!
- Make sure your mug is microwave-safe! This is vital, you do not want to have a mug explode or break!
- Ramekins are the perfect size to make a mug cake in too.
- Feel free to use any type of milk. I usually go for dairy milk or vanilla almond milk.
- Trying to cut out a bit of sugar? You can go down to about 1 tbsp of sugar in the base if you want it a little less sweet.
- Subbing in alternative sweeteners like coconut sugar, honey, or maple syrup works well too!
- Melted coconut oil works as a substitute for butter in this mug cake recipe.
Can’t get enough of this mug cake recipe? Try these other recipes!
- Vanilla Mug Cake
- Carrot Cake Mug Cake
- Coffee Cake Mug Cake
- Snickerdoodle Mug Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Mug Cake
Coconut Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut emulsion or extract
- Whipped cream
- Shredded coconut, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and stir.
- Pour batter into mug and microwave for 1:30-2 minutes or until cooked through.
- Top with whipped cream and toasted shredded coconut
- Bob's Red Mill Shredded Coconut (Unsweetened), 12-ounce (Pack of 4, Stand up Pouch)
- LorAnn Oils Emulsion, Coconut, 4 Ounce
- Glossy Ceramic Coffee Mug, Tea Cup for Office and Home, 18 oz, Dishwasher and Microwave Safe, 1 Pack (Purple)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 923 Total Fat: 57g Saturated Fat: 45g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 70mg Sodium: 586mg Carbohydrates: 100g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 58g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g