Chocolate Waffles – The perfect breakfast recipe! Homemade waffles made with cocoa power and loaded with chocolate chips!
It’s time to pull out those waffle irons that are hanging out in the back of your cabinet gathering dust! I know, we all have that waffle iron that we got thinking we were going to make waffles every weekend… and then we didn’t. After you try these chocolate waffles, that waffle iron will definitely become a staple in your kitchen because they were so good!
Chocolate waffles are the perfect breakfast recipe. They are loaded with cocoa powder and chocolate chips so they are filled with chocolate flavor. The recipe makes about 4 waffles but you can always double or triple it. I suggest that you keep the waffles in an oven that is set to 250 degrees F for up to 30 minutes before serving to keep them from getting soggy. Additionally, you can warm them up in a toaster or toaster oven if you are eating one the next day.
Common Questions About Making Chocolate Waffles
What are chocolate waffles?
Chocolate waffles are homemade waffles made with cocoa powder and chocolate chips to give them a nice, chocolate flavor.
How do I make homemade waffles?
Homemade waffles are super easy to make! Just mix the ingredients together and pour the batter into a waffle iron until they are cooked through. The ingredients are just flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, milk, egg, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips.
What can I top my waffles with?
What other types of waffles can I make?
- Apple Cinnamon Waffles
- Buttermilk Waffles
- Pumpkin Waffles
- Blueberry Waffles
Looking for more breakfast recipes? Check these out!
- Baked Vanilla Donuts
- Homemade Bagels
- Peach French Toast
- Old Fashioned Glazed Donuts
- Strawberry Rhubarb Scones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until no large lumps remain.
- Add the chocolate chips, if using, and fold them into the batter.
- Grease the preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and add the batter to the waffle iron. I added about 1 cup of batter for each waffle.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the waffle is crisp around the edges and fully cooked in the center.
- Repeath steps 6 and 7 until all the waffles are made. You can keep the cooked waffles warm in a 250 degree F oven for up to 30 minutes while you make the rest.
- Serve warm, garnished with toppings of your choice. Store any leftover waffles in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Make sure to check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.