Chocolate Mousse Brownies – Treat yourself to a chocolate mousse brownie! Classic brownies topped with a light chocolate mousse, each bite is indulgent and delicious.
Chocolate Mousse Brownies
These brownies are insanely good! This recipe was inspired by my chocolate cheesecake mousse and how it was both rich and light. I wanted to bring that same texture to a batch of brownies to balance the dense and chewy texture of the brownie itself and it ended up working so well. To make the mousse, you just make a simple chocolate ganache in a saucepan and melting marshmallows into it. Traditionally, mousse is made with gelatine which is also used in making marshmallows so this does the same job while also adding in a bit of marshmallow yumminess to the mousse!
Common Questions About Making Chocolate Mousse Brownies
What are chocolate mousse brownies?
Chocolate mousse brownies are a classic chocolate brownie that is topped with a creamy mousse topping made by combining marshmallows and a chocolate ganache.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 9 servings.
What kind of chocolate should I use?
I prefer to make this recipe with a high-quality semi-sweet chocolate chip (or chopped baking chocolate) because the flavor will really come through and it’s worth splurging a bit but dark chocolate could also work.
How long do these brownies last?
These brownies last up to three days when stored in a refrigerated airtight container.
Should I use espresso powder?
I highly recommend, it helps add even more depth to the brownies but it is still delicious even without it.
What other types of brownies can I make?
Some of my other favorite brownie recipes include –
Looking for more chocolate dessert recipes? Check these out!
For the Brownie Layer
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
For the Mousse Layer
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the butter and sugar before whisking in the eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder (optional), and salt until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and then transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let full cool.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and milk until smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Spread the mousse onto the cooled brownies, then allow to chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before slicing and serving.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.