Chocolate Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies – A delicious spin on classic shortbread cookies made with hazelnuts and drizzled with chocolate.
Chocolate Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies
Love nutella? Then you will LOVE these cookies! After learning how to make homemade nutella a while back, I started trying to combine chocolate and hazelnuts in a variety of different ways. One of my favorite recipes that I came up with was for chocolate hazelnut shortbread cookies. These are classic shortbread cookies made with finely chopped hazelnuts and drizzled with chocolate.
This recipe makes about 24 cookies but you can always double it if you want more. These cookies are perfect for holidays, parties, and always disappear so quick!
Common Questions About Making Shortbread Cookies
What are chocolate hazelnut shortbread cookies?
Chocolate hazelnut shortbread cookies are homemade shortbread cookies made with chopped hazelnuts and drizzled with melted chocolate.
What are shortbread cookies?
Shortbread cookies are a classic cookie made with flour, sugar, and butter. This recipe uses powdered sugar as the sugar and a bit of milk to bring it all together.
What other types of shortbread cookies can I make?
There are so many amazing varieties of shortbread cookies!
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Almond Shortbread Cookies
- Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies
Are these cookies crispy or soft?
Shortbread cookies are crisp cookies.
What kind of chocolate should I use?
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips but you could use dark or white chocolate.
Can I decorate these cookies?
After drizzling chocolate on the cookies, you can sprinkle chopped hazelnuts or flakey sea salt.
How long do these cookies last?
They last up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Looking for more cookie recipes? Check these out!
- Peanut Butter Cookies (made with brown butter)
- Chocolate Blossom Cookies
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
For the Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter (softened)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- Flakey sea salt (optional)
For the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter until it is smooth and light - about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour and powdered sugar. Mix until until the dry ingredients are just combined.
- Add the chopped hazelnuts and fold them in to combine.
- Shape the dough into a disk and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled dough until it is 1/4" thick.
- Using a 1.5" round cookie cutter, cut out the cookies and place them on the baking sheets.
- Place the sheets in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill the dough again.
- Bake until the edges of the cookies are golden brown - about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
For the Garnish
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Drizzle over the cookies and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts. Allow the chocolate to set before enjoying.
- Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.