Chicken Schnitzel – A classic german dish made with breaded chicken deep fried until golden brown. Perfect served with spaetzle!
I will admit, I have dreamed of schnitzel more than once. It’s such a tasty meal! I first had it way back in middle school when I went to Germany. One of my first nights there, I was taken to a biergarten and I had schnitzel. It was the best meal I had that trip.
Since then, I have been dying to try making schnitzel and although it may have been 8 years, I finally did it! To pair with the chicken schnitzel, I whipped up a batch of kasespaetzle to go with it (dumplings with cheese) and it was such an awesome meal. If you are concerned about making schnitzel from scratch, it was actually pretty easy and the whole process took about 30 minutes and made 4 servings.
Common questions about making chicken schnitzel
What is the best way to cook chicken schnitzel?
The traditional way to cook chicken schnitzel is to deep fry it but alternatively, you can bake it but the coating may not be quite as crisp.
How do you make chicken schnitzel?
To make chicken schnitzel:
- You beat chicken breasts until about 1/4″-1/2″ thick
- Coat the chicken in all-purpose flour, egg, and bread crumbs.
- Fry over medium high heat in at least 1/2″ of neutral oil (such as vegetable or canola) until each side is golden brown.
How do you make chicken schnitzel in the oven?
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and then bake on a lined sheet pan for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through.
What can I serve with chicken schnitzel?
Some of the most popular things to serve with schnitzel include:
- Potato salad
- Cucumber salad
- Good ole french fries
How do you flatten chicken breasts?
To flatten chicken breasts:
- Lay a chicken breast on a flat surface and cut it parallel to the cutting board so that there are two evenly sized pieces of chicken.
- Cover with plastic wrap and lightly beat using a meat mallet until it is the desired thickness.
What kind of meat is used in schnitzel?
Most commonly, schnitzel is made with:
Can’t get enough of this chicken schnitzel recipe? Try these other recipes!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Neutral oil, vegetable or canola
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Fresh lemon wedges
- Flatten each chicken breast. To do so, lay a chicken breast on a flat surface and cut it parallel to the cutting board so that there are two evenly sized pieces of chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and lightly beat using a meat mallet until it is about 1/4"-1/2" thick.
- Mix together flour, salt, and pepper in one bowl together. Place panko in a separate bowl. In a third bowl, beat together eggs and dijon mustard.
- Cover each piece of chicken with flour, egg, and then panko.
- Bring a deep pan filled with about 1/2" of a neutral oil in it to medium high heat. Once the oil is hot enough that it sizzles when you drop a bread crumb in, place 2 pieces of chicken in the pan. Cook until the bottom is golden brown and then flip. Repeat with each piece of chicken. Once the chicken is cooked, transfer to a cooling rack or a plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve with a lemon wedge and a sprinkle of parsley on top.