Cheesy Ham Casserole – A quick and easy meal that is the perfect way to use up extra ham from the holidays! Noodles and ham with a creamy cheese sauce and topped with toasted breadcrumbs.
Cheesy Ham Casserole
Who else loves re-purposing leftovers into other meals?! Whether it’s turning the leftover ham or turkey into a pasta, casserole, pot pie, soup, stew, etc, I am always on the hunt for how to spice up all of that leftover meat so that it doesn’t end up getting repetitive. One of my favorite ways to use up leftover ham is to turn it into a cheesy ham casserole. Now this recipe is essentially homemade mac and cheese with ham but it really is the perfect comfort food and a real crowd pleaser that your family is going to love.
Common Questions About Cheesy Ham Casserole
Can I use leftover ham from the holidays?
Yes, this is a great way to use up extra holiday ham but alternatively, you can always just buy diced ham or even just cut up from thickly sliced deli ham.
What else can I use leftover ham for?
There are so many options but some of my favorites include –
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Ham and Potato Soup
- Ham and Potato Au Gratin
- Ham Pot Pie
- Cuban Sliders
- Ham and Bean Stew
What kind of noodles should I use?
Any noodles will work, I chose rotini but I could see macaroni, shells, or penne also being really great. Whatever is in your pantry should be totally fine.
Can I add any vegetables to this casserole?
If you want to add any vegetables to this casserole, I would suggest broccoli.
Can I make this casserole ahead of time?
Yes! I would suggest doing everything excepting topping it with the toasted breadcrumbs and baking it ahead of time. At that point, refrigerate it and once you are ready to serve it, add the toppings and bake it as the instructions say to.
Looking for a side dish to serve with cheesy ham casserole? Check out these recipes!
Cheesy Ham Pasta
- 1 pound dried pasta (rotini, shells, macaroni, etc)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups ham
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the packaging.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Once melted, add in flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add in milk, dijon, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Add in cheddar cheese and parmesan and mix until the cheese has melted into the sauce.
- In a small pan, combine butter, breadcrumbs, and parmesan over medium. Cook for 3-5 minutes, sitrring occasionally.
- In a 9"x13" casserole pan, combine noodles, cheese sauce, and ham. Mix until combined and then top with the remaining cheddar cheese and then the toasted breadcrumbs. Place in oven and bake for 25-28 minutes (the cheese should have melted and the casserole cooked through).
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe