Carrot Cake – This simple sheet cake version of a classic carrot cake is the perfect easy spring dessert! Topped with cream cheese frosting, this carrot cake is perfect!
One of my favorite spring desserts to make is carrot cake. I love spice cake and the addition of carrots and a bit of yummy cream cheese frosting on top really makes it so perfect. Something I have come to terms with when I make homemade cakes is that I just don’t have the dedication to make fancy, multi-layered cakes. I like just sticking to a good old sheet cake that can be made in a large sheet pan or glass casserole dish. It ends up tasting just as good but it is much more approachable for home bakers!
Now I actually made this carrot cake for my birthday this year so I made sure to decorate it well. I dusted it with ground cinnamon and sprinkled a batch of maple cinnamon candied walnuts on top of the cake and then I put cinnamon sticks and a bit of salted caramel sauce on top of my piece because it just made it look extra special.
Common Questions About Making Carrot Cake
What is a carrot cake?
A carrot cake is a spiced cake with shredded carrots cooked into it along with walnuts or raisins (depending on preference).
What kind of frosting is on a carrot cake?
Usually, you will find cream cheese frosting on a carrot cake.
How long does a carrot cake last?
I would say about 3 days in the refrigerator if the frosting is on it but you keep the frosting separate, it will last a few extra days.
What can I top a carrot cake with?
When I serve carrot cake, I like to top it with a dusting of cinnamon and chopped maple cinnamon walnuts.
Why does a carrot cake have no butter?
Carrot cakes are an oil based cake rather than a butter based cake which helps keep it moist.
What else can I add to a carrot cake?
Popular mix-ins include walnuts, pecans, pineapple, or even raisins.
What other carrot cake desserts can I make?
There are many other spins on classic carrot cake including –
- Carrot Cake Truffles
- Carrot Cake Blondies
- Carrot Coffee Cake
- Carrot Cake Bars
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake
- Carrot Cake Muffins
Looking for more cake recipes? Check these out!
- Hot Milk Cake
- Peach Bundt Cake
- Banana Cake
- Lemon Madeira Cake
- German Bee Sting Cake
- Apple Spice Cake
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped, optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x14" pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, oil, and sugar until smooth. Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, mixing until well combined. Stir in carrots and walnuts before transferring into the pan.
- Place in oven to bake for about 35-40 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick into it and it comes out clean. Let fully cool.
- While the cake is cooling, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla for the frosting. Add the sugar in 1 cup at a time, mixing until fully combined.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, spread frosting on the cake and decorate as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe