Carrot Cake Mug Cake – A perfect one-serving dessert that tastes just like a carrot cake! It is a delicious treat that is sure to be a new favorite that takes less than 5 minutes to make! This is the ultimate mug cake recipe!
It’s time for another mug cake! Currently, this is the fourth I’ve made but only the second I’ve actually posted. Since this was more of a spring flavor, I pushed this one ahead of the other two! This was by far the best carrot cake I’ve had and it was a SO easy! I will definitely be making this again later this week as I have a really large bag of carrots and no other plans for them currently.
As for toppings I used on this carrot cake mug cake, I made a homemade whipped cream to go on top along with a bit of shredded carrots and chopped pecans. They all worked so well with the mug cake, I highly suggest! I considered making a bit of buttercream frosting for the top but decided whipped cream would be a bit easier since I didn’t have any cream cheese or butter softened.
I’ve been a bit addicted to making mug cakes for lunch, it’s been happening at least 1-2 days a week for about a month. They are so easy to make and a lot more exciting then a boring grilled cheese sandwich or any of my normal options, I don’t usually get super creative when it comes to lunch so these have been a welcome change!
Now if you haven’t made a mug cake before, don’t fret. It is about the easiest dessert possible to make. Once you make one, you will get the hype and be just as addicted as I am!
Common questions about making a mug cake
How do I make a mug cake?
Making a mug cake is very simple, you mix together flour, baking powder, melted butter, sugar, milk, and which ever flavorings you want for that specific mug cake such as vanilla extract.
Can you make a cake in a microwave?
Yes, you can make a cake in a microwave by creating a smaller portion of it, putting it in a microwave safe cup, and then microwaving it for about 1-2 minutes.
Can you make a box cake in a microwave?
Yes, use about 1 cup of cake mix and then determine the appropriate amount of liquid from the box’s instructions. Then place in a mug and microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Other tips and tricks on making a mug cake
- Make sure your mug is microwave-safe! You don’t want to have any accidents with a mug breaking or anything!
- Ramekins are the perfect size for a mug cake too.
- Feel free to use any type of milk. I usually go for dairy milk or vanilla almond milk.
- Trying to cut out a bit of sugar? You can go down to about 1 tbsp of brown sugar in the base.
- Subbing in alternative sweeteners like coconut sugar or maple syrup works well too!
- Coconut oil works as a substitute for butter in this mug cake recipe.
Check out the video of this carrot cake mug cake recipe!
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp carrots, shredded
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- Chopped pecans
- Shredded carrots
- In a small bowl (or straight inside the mug), combine all ingredients in and stir until there are no lumps.
- Microwave for 1-1.5 minutes or until baked through.
- Top with whipped cream, chopped pecans, and shredded carrots. (optional)
Love mug cake recipes?
Make sure to check out this recipe:
Cherry Almond Mug Cake from The Foodie Affair