Cake Batter Truffles – A delicious treat made with just 3 simple ingredients – boxed yellow cake mix, white chocolate, and cream cheese! Perfect for any holiday or party!
Cake Batter Truffles
Over the past few months, I have spent a lot of time perfecting the art of making homemade truffles. Whether they are made with boxed cake mix, homemade cakes, pre-made cookie sandwiches, or homemade cookies, I can turn them into a real good truffle. Now what might possibly be my favorite truffle may also be one of the simplest – the cake batter truffle. I know, it sounds basic but holy cow, it’s yummy!
Now how do you make a cake batter truffle? Well, it’s super simple – make a box of yellow cake mix according to the instructions, let cool, blend together with cream cheese, roll into balls, and cover with white chocolate. That’s it! This is the perfect no-fuss dessert for any holiday or party.
Something I love about cake batter truffles is that you can really decorate them anyway that you like. Since I was really wanting spring to come, I dyed white chocolate chips pastel pink and green and drizzled it on top. You could do the same or use sprinkles for fun pops of color!
Common Questions About Making Cake Batter Truffles
Can I use chocolate instead of white chocolate?
You sure can! You could also drizzle them with white chocolate like I did for the pictures.
How should I decorate these truffles?
I used white chocolate that I melted and drizzled it on top of the truffles but you could also use sprinkles or just drizzle chocolate on top of the truffles instead. You can also add sprinkles into the truffles by transferring the combined cake and cream cheese mixture into a bowl and mixing the sprinkles in then with a spoon. Don’t mix more than you have to or else you will get streaking from the sprinkles.
Can I freeze the truffles?
Yes, freezing the truffles until you are ready to serve them works great.
What should I do if my truffle filling isn’t forming together?
If your truffles filling (yellow cake and cream cheese) is loose and isn’t forming into balls, try adding a bit more cream cheese and blending again. That helps them form together more.
Is this a no bake recipe?
Yes and no. I would lean more towards no because you do have to bake the box of cake mix before turning it in to truffles. I usually do it the night before and let it sit on the counter until morning so that it fully cools.
Do I have to use boxed cake mix?
Nope! Feel free to make a batch of your favorite yellow cake recipe.
Looking for more cake truffle recipes? Check these out!
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (cooked according to the instructions on the box)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 16 ounces white chocolate chip morsels (or almond bark)
- In a food processor, blend cooked and cooled yellow cake until it becomes crumbs. Add in cream cheese and process again until its fully combined.
- Using a 1" cookie scoop, roll out truffles into balls and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all of the mixture has been used up.
- Place sheet pan in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up.
- Once the truffles have firmed up, place white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat until melted.
- Roll each truffle in white chocolate until fully coated and then transfer back to the lined sheet pan. Freeze or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe