Brownie Trifle – A gorgeous dessert perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas! Layers of brownies, cream filling, and luscious chocolate pudding.
When it comes to the holidays, having festive desserts that are perfect for feeding a crowd is a must! Trifles are one of my go-tos because they are so gorgeous and elegant with lovely layers of delicious dessert perfection. I knew that for Thanksgiving this year, I just had to make a chocolate trifle. Who doesn’t love a dessert made with brownies?! For this recipe, I used boxed brownies but feel free to make your favorite homemade version instead and then layered chunks of the brownies with luscious chocolate pudding and creamy whipped cream.
Common Questions About Making a Brownie Trifle
What is a trifle?
A trifle is a layered British dessert that typically made with lady fingers, custard, and other fillings such as fruit, sponge cake, whipped cream, etc.
What is a brownie trifle?
A brownie trifle is a variation on a classic trifle which uses brownies, chocolate pudding, and a delicious cream filling.
What variations can I make on this recipe?
There are some great variations you can make on this recipe such as –
- You could use chocolate cake instead of brownies. I suggest using a boxed cake mix or pre-made to save time.
- Add a homemade chocolate custard layer instead of the pudding layer.
- Add a bit of booze to the whipped cream! I think Kahlua or Bailey’s would be really good. Use about 3 tablespoons and add it in while beating the cream.
- Try adding a layer of crushed oreos for a bit of additional texture and flavor!
Can I use homemade brownies?
Yes! Feel free to use your favorite brownie recipe.
What other types of trifles can I make?
There are so many amazing varieties of trifles! Some of my favorites are –
Looking for more easy chocolate dessert recipes? Check these out!
- 2 boxes brownie mix (plus the ingredients required on the back of each box)
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (4 ounce) packets instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate shavings (for garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9"x13" pan with parchment and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare both brownie mixes according to the instructions on the boxes. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before slicing into pieces.
- Once the brownies are cools, prepare the chocolate pudding by whisking together the milk and both packets of chocolate pudding. Allow the mixture to thicken while you prepare the whipped cream.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Whip on high-speed until stiff peaks form.
- In a trifle dish, put a layer of half of the chocolate pudding, followed by half the brownies, followed by half the whipped cream. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients.
- Garnish with shaves chocolate (if desired) and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Make sure to follow along on Pinterest for more Mildly Meandering recipes!
Check out the web story for this recipe by clicking HERE.