Banana Cake – This simple sheet cake version of a classic banana cake is the perfect easy dessert and a great way to use up extra bananas! Topped with cream cheese frosting, this banana cake is perfect!
I have always been a huge fan of bananas. Whether they are baked into a bread, in a milkshake, or just eating them straight from the peel, they are always so delicious. With family having just visited, I wanted to make a big cake so that there was plenty of dessert for everyone to enjoy so I thought a cake would be perfect. Knowing that they were all banana bread fans, I thought it would be fun to make a banana cake.
Now a banana cake is the perfect way to use up all of those brown bananas that you don’t want to eat on their own. It uses three bananas and all of your other favorite cake ingredients like flour, sugar, etc and then it’s topped in a yummy homemade cream cheese frosting. If you want to make you cake taste even better, try substituting in 1/2 cup dark brown sugar for the brown sugar in the recipe to give it a deep, caramelized flavor.
Common Questions About Making Banana Cake
What is banana cake?
Banana cake is an easy sheet cake recipe made over ripe bananas and topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting.
What is the difference between banana cake and banana bread?
While they are quite similar in taste, banana cake is basically a classic butter cake with the addition of bananas while banana bread is denser texture closer to a quick bread.
What kind of frosting is on a banana cake?
I chose to make a cream cheese frosting that I had previously used on my carrot cake recipe but you can customize it by adding a bit of cinnamon, caramel, or going for a completely different frosting if you want like a butter cream.
What can I top a banana cake with?
In a addition to the frosting, I like to top my banana cakes with a some combination of the following –
- Dusting of ground cinnamon
- Drizzle of honey, butterscotch sauce, or salted caramel sauce
- Chopped bananas
- Candied walnuts
What other recipes can I make with bananas?
There are so many options! Some of my favorites include –
Looking for more cake recipes? Check these out!
- Carrot Cake
- Peach Bundt Cake
- Hot Milk Cake
- German Bee Sting Cake
- Apple Spice Cake
- Lemon Madeira Cake
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 8 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas and then add in the butter and sugars. Beat for 2-3 minutes on medium high speed to cream together.
- Add in the vanilla and eggs, mixing until combined.
- Add in the remaining cake ingredients and mix until smooth. If adding in the nuts, fold those in before transferring to the pan. Place in oven and bake for 23-27 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick in and it comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract for the frosting. Add in 1 cup of confectioners sugar at a time, mixing until fully combined.
- Once the cake has fully cooled, spread frosting onto the cake and decorate as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Never miss a Mildly Meandering recipe