Apple Hand Pies – A personal apple pie great for serving at fall parties or baking with kids! Pie crusts filled with the BEST homemade apple pie filling!
Apple Hand Pies
Are you in fall baking mode yet? I know I have gone all in on apple everything (like my apple peanut butter cookies!) but I haven’t ventured into pumpkin recipes yet. For this recipe, I wanted to take an apple pie and make it portable and easier to serve. What I came up with was an apple hand pie!
Now a hand pie can either be a half-circle or a small full circle and I opted for the latter. I thought it would be more visually appealing as a circle so I went with that.
These little pies are perfect for fall parties or even Thanksgiving. I love how they are less messy than trying to serve a traditional apple pie and you can even do a variety of different fillings such as pumpkin, pear, peach, etc.
For this hand pie recipe, you can make homemade pie crust but I opted for store bought because I wanted these to be quick and easy. The best way to serve these pies is warm with a drizzle of homemade salted caramel sauce and a dollop of whipped cream of top. It makes it a messier treat but it’s completely worth it!
Common questions about making hand pies
What is a hand pie?
A hand pie is a personal pie that is either folded over pie dough into a half circle or a circular piece of pie crust filled with pie filling and topped with another piece of pie crust. Then, it is crimped around the sides and baked.
Can I freeze hand pies?
Yes, you can either freeze them before baking them by laying them flat in a freezer safe bag or baking them, letting them cool, and then placing them in a freezer safe bag. If you freeze them already baked, then just warm them up in the oven before serving. If you freeze them without baking them, let them thaw and then proceed with the original recipes baking instructions.
What are the best apples for apple pie?
The go-to apple for most pie bakers is a granny smith apple but some other alternatives include jonagold, honeycrisp, braeburn, and golden delicious.
What are the ingredients for apple pie?
The ingredients for an apple pie usually are pie crusts, apple, apple pie spices, and sugar.
How to make apple hand pies
Step 1 – Make apple pie filling
The key to a good apple pie is the filling. To make it, combine water, cornstarch, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt together in a pan over medium-high heat. Once it thickens up, add in the apples and cook for 10 minutes.
Step 2 – Cut out pie crusts
Roll out each of the 2 uncooked pie crusts. Using a cookie cutter or a cup, cut each out into a 3 inch circle and place on a lined baking sheet.
Step 3 –Fill with apple pie filling
Place about 1 heaping tablespoon of filling in the middle of each of the pie crusts.
Step 4 – Cover with the second pie crust
Top each of the pies with a second pie crust and carefully cut an “x” in the top of each as a vent.
Step 5 – Press the edges of the pies with fork
Go around the edge of each of the pies with a fork and lightly press down to seal the two pieces of pie crust together.
Step 6 – Bake
Brush with egg wash and sugar before baking.
Can’t get enough of this apple hand pies recipe? Try these other recipes!
- 2 pie crusts
- 2 medium apples
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- Egg wash
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. Pour into a medium pot over medium-high heat with brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and salt. Once the sauce begins to thicken up, add in the diced apples and reduce the heat to cook for 10-12 minutes to soften the apples, occasionally stirring.
- While the apples are cooking, roll out the pie crusts and using either a 3 inch wide circular cookie cutter or using a cup and cutting around it with a knife, cut out as many circles as you can, rolling out the extra dough again until it is all used up.
- Place 6 on the baking sheet and once the apple filling is done, place about 1 tablespoon in the middle of the crust. Place another piece of pie crust on top and cut an "x" on top of each pie as a vent and then press along the edges of the crust with a fork to create the classic pie crust frill. Repeat with each of the remaining pie crusts.
- Once all of the pies are assembled, brush each of the hand pies with egg wash and sprinkle sugar on top. Place in oven and bake for 17-20 minutes to until golden on top.
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat Sheet, Set of 2
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 278mg Carbohydrates: 55g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 25g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g